Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wideband IIP3 Simulation settings and Measuring using ADS

Status
Not open for further replies.

narayani

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I would like to simulate and measure IIP3 for my wideband LNA.
I have designed wideband LNA from 8.2 to 8.7 GHz, now I have to simulate IIP3 for my designed wideband LNA. I am familiar in setting single frequency and simulating and drawing IIP3 graph. But I don't know how to do settings for wideband LNA using ADS.

I have selected HB2 tone from Insert>Template> HB2 Two tone, I don't know how to sweep frequency for wideband using HB2 two tone. Can any guide me to simulating IIP3 for wideband.

Below I have attached HB2 Two Tone Swept Power selected from ADS.

Attachments

• Wideband_IIP3_Measurent_Settings.jpg
    Wideband_IIP3_Measurent_Settings.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 71

The template is ready to use.You don't have to do anything because there is a Sweep Plan in HB Controller and when you start the simulation, RFpower variable will start to sweep.
For your intention, you should place another Sweep Plan to sweep RFfrequency as placed in the template.First priority belongs to RFpower then RFfrequency.You can also define RFfrequency in VAR block as Start-Stop-Step..( see how to do that..)
Note that the output dataset will be quite confusing and complex, be careful..

The template is ready to use.You don't have to do anything because there is a Sweep Plan in HB Controller and when you start the simulation, RFpower variable will start to sweep.
I am little confused. I have used HB1ToneSweptFreq. Using HB1ToneSweptFreq If sweep frequency I am getting lot of errors. Please guide me how to sweep plan using HB Controller.
You can also define RFfrequency in VAR block as Start-Stop-Step..( see how to do that..)
Even I tried using VARblock as Start-Stop-Step. It is not allowing to change earlier VARblock.
You helped me lot, but if you give graphical sweep example, we could understand it easily. Please guide me.
Below I have attached, what I have done using ADS

Attachments

• Frequency_Sweeping_Using_Variable.jpg
    Frequency_Sweeping_Using_Variable.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 67
  • HB1ToneSweepfreq.jpg
    HB1ToneSweepfreq.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 70

You made a mistake..
RFfreq should be assigned a number-for instance 1GHz or appropriate value- then define sweep values using with "Parameter Sweep" block like this.
Hb1.PNG

You made a mistake..
RFfreq should be assigned a number-for instance 1GHz or appropriate value- then define sweep values using with "Parameter Sweep" block like this.
View attachment 159538

As I mentioned in the posting #1, I want to measure IIP3 from 8.2 to 8.7 GHz. I followed as you guided me in the previous post.
Eventually I got results and confused little from results. I am not sure whether I got right results or not.
Here below attached settings, Tabular column results and Excel results. Please guide whether I got right results or not. If not, how to get proper results.

- - - Updated - - -

The results in Excel File

Attachments

• 8.2-8.7GHz_Band of Frequency Setting.jpg
    8.2-8.7GHz_Band of Frequency Setting.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 69
  • 8.2-8.7GHz_Band of Frequency_Results.jpg
    8.2-8.7GHz_Band of Frequency_Results.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 71
  • Results_Excel.zip
    19.2 KB · Views: 39

Your Power Gain is negative, the results will be nonsense..First thing is to see a reasonable Power Gain.
Sweep Plan has first priority then Parameter Sweep has second priority in a sweeping.So RFfreq should have first priority then Available Power from Source will have second.
Don't confuse the units and pay attention while you're typing.

Your Power Gain is negative, the results will be nonsense..First thing is to see a reasonable Power Gain.
Sweep Plan has first priority then Parameter Sweep has second priority in a sweeping.So RFfreq should have first priority then Available Power from Source will have second.

Even I checked in the reputed journal paper results, power sweeping is correct only. If you have any right power and frequency sweep planning, please suggest I would try it. Though I am getting vague results(Results are already shown in the posting #5) from my present power and frequency power sweeping plan.
Below attached results can be checked

Attachments

• IIP3_Results_from_Reputed_Journals.jpg
    IIP3_Results_from_Reputed_Journals.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 2_IIP3_Results_From_Journal.jpg
    2_IIP3_Results_From_Journal.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 55

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com