Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Verilog and VHDL noise modelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

deep_sea

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello guys,
How can I model the noise using Verilog or VHDL?
Are there any examples for the following noise modelling:
White noise
Thermal noise
1/f noise
oscillator noise

Your question isn't very specific, what do you want to achieve?

VHDL and Verilog are digital simulators without means to represent analog signals or sources.

I can imagine a discrete noise generator as part of a digital signal processing test bench, it could e.g. use the pseudo random function UNIFORM() in IEEE.MATH_REAL and possibly digital filters for spectral shaping.

Your question isn't very specific, what do you want to achieve?

VHDL and Verilog are digital simulators without means to represent analog signals or sources.

I can imagine a discrete noise generator as part of a digital signal processing test bench, it could e.g. use the pseudo random function UNIFORM() in IEEE.MATH_REAL and possibly digital filters for spectral shaping.
You are right. But what I want to know, what are the possibilities to represent different types of noise sources using even mixed signal languages like VHDL-AMS, Verilog-A(AMS). To build a system model for example.

in theory, verilog/vhdl can be used just like a programming language and you can model anything you want.

i think the real questions is whether these languages are good for this purpose. I would argue that no, they are not. if you need system-level model, matlab is probably a much better fit.

Reactions: FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
in theory, verilog/vhdl can be used just like a programming language and you can model anything you want.

i think the real questions is whether these languages are good for this purpose. I would argue that no, they are not. if you need system-level model, matlab is probably a much better fit.

Thanks for your reply. If someone does not have Matlab license, which methodology is suitable in your opinion for system modelling of noise and/or component mismatch? The available tools are Cadence Spectre/AMS

if you don't have access to matlab, get octave.

I still don't understand what you actually have as a system and why you insist on using a low level simulator. do you actually have a circuit with a certain topology? what is your application?

Reactions: FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back