Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Relative Robustness of power semiconductors (generally)

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

Supposing I have a 10mF electrolytic capacitor which has been slowly charged up to 50V via a 27k resistor.
I then short it directly to ground with either ….

a)…a TO247 Gate turn off thyristor
b)…a TO 247 Thyristor
c)…a TO247 NFET with rdson = 3 milliohms
d)…a TO247 IGBT
e)…a TO247 Triac

…speaking generally…..which one would be least likely to blow up whilst doing this?
And Can you put them in order of likelihood of blowing up from Most to least likely?

My guess is c, d, a, e, b….is this correct?

In each case, the switch ON signal is up within 1us

Hi,

Surely you can calculate the PD of each device based on di/dt (RC current discharge rate) and compare to SOA besides calculating resulting junction temperature? I'm not familiar with MOSFET avalanche concept, might apply.

- - - Updated - - -

Could use... never remember which is which... ZVT, ZCT, ZVS, ZCS to take strain off discharge device, but would mean more parts...

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
SCR is the one that can handle the highest current peak, but it has a di/dt limitation at turn on - so series L needed

IGBT driven at 7 volts gate is also quite rugged due to self current limiting at lower Vgate - but a lot of IGBT have small die size

then GTO, possibly triac, fet is last on list - unless it is the linear type - which have much larger die ....

Status
Not open for further replies.