Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Static IP Address and only broadcast packets received

Status
Not open for further replies.

kekon

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I can't find the answer for my problem which is as follows:
I have an appliance that communicates over ethernet (it uses ENC424J600 chip). It has static IP address assigned by network administrator. It works in server mode and uses UDP only.
The problem is that it receives ARP requests correctly but other packets never reach my device. I can receive packets with broadcast MAC addresses only. When I send "ping" command it doesn't work either. The network administrator told me I need subnet mask to be set correctly in order for my appliance to be detected in the network. But I can't see any point of incorporating subnet mask into my device as it does not need it - it works only as a server and never initiates any transmission on its own. It only responds to UDP incoming packets. What do I do wrong ?

You can try to reset to the main customs of your settings.

You must set a subnet mask, so the device can understand that it communicates with a unit on the same subnet. Set it to 0.0.0.0 to put all IP addresses in the same subnet.

- - - Updated - - -

You should only set the subnet mask to 0.0.0.0 if you have a "private" subnet without connections to other subnets.

If you communicate with the device from another subnet, both the subnet mask and the gateway must be set correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.