Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitance effect due to more vias and metal straps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

reddvoid

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
L1 output pin  uses M1 for output pin + 2M0 vias to M0 straps
L2 output pin  uses M2 for output pin + 6 M1Vias to 6 M1 straps + 12 M0 vias to M0 straps  lower cap than L1

L1 input pin  uses M0 layer
L2 input pinuses M1 layer 1 M0 via to M0  lower cap than L1

I have these two layouts, both are of same size (INVERTER LAYOUTS)
though L2 is using more straps and vias in addition to what L1 is using, I am seeing lower caps on input and output nets of L2, when I do the extraction in virtuoso.

I expected higher caps on input and output nets in L1
am I missing something? , Higher layers have lower cap, but L2 is using higher layers plus the layers used by L1 , so clearly I was expecting higher caps in L2
am I missing something or its due to some messup in extraction ?

Thank you.

L1 output pin --> uses M1 for output pin + 2M0 vias to M0 straps
L2 output pin --> uses M2 for output pin + 6 M1Vias to 6 M1 straps + 12 M0 vias to M0 straps --> lower cap than L1

L1 input pin --> uses M0 layer
L2 input pin-->uses M1 layer 1 M0 via to M0 --> lower cap than L1

I have these two layouts, both are of same size (INVERTER LAYOUTS)
though L2 is using more straps and vias in addition to what L1 is using, I am seeing lower caps on input and output nets of L2, when I do the extraction in virtuoso.

am I missing something? , Higher layers have lower cap, but L2 is using higher layers plus the layers used by L1 , so clearly I was expecting higher caps in L2
am I missing something or its due to some messup in extraction ?

Thank you.
Updated question

Are you referring to the total input/output caps seen through these pins ? What are the NMOS/PMOS sizes used in these two layouts ? In which technology ?

Anuradha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back