Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Finite conductivity boundary needs one side to be smaller than the wavelength. WHY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gix_d

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am trying to simulate the radiation absorption in a thin-film patch on my wafer. I modeled it as a rectangle finite conductivity (boundary, solved both sides, DC thickness given) patch and calculated the integrated loss. I am most interested in 100s GHz to a few THz. The result I got matches very well to the theoretical calculation (modified Hagen-Rubens equation) up to the frequency whose wavelength is equal to the size of the rectangle, and then the absorption/loss spectrum becomes very noisy and nonsensical. I can adjust the size of the patch to prove the correspondence of the starting frequency of the artifact and the size of the patch.

I later found in HFSS documentation that, to avoid unphysical results, one side of the finite conductivity boundary needs to be smaller than the wavelength of interest. I don't quite understand this limitation. What's the point if a finite element simulation can't mesh the model and propagate the solution to a larger-than-wavelenght model? Does anyone know the reason of the artifact and any solution to get around it? I am playing with the meshing options now. While it does significantly change the artifact, I haven't found a good configuration to remove it.

Thanks in advance :)

- Yen-Yung

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back