Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

separate case fan control

Status
Not open for further replies.
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi.. i have an aquarium light fixture that is a hybrid T5 and LED set up. the LED system consists of a bluefish wireless controller, a breakout board to convert 5v to PWM and 1000Ma meanwell drivers for 5 dimmable color channels.

all are powered by a meanwell ac/dc converter that puts out 48v 2.5A, 120W max. the T5 part is AC powered with traditional fluorescent ballasts with on/off functionality. there are also 3 case fans present that are powered by a separate adjustable voltage "wall wart"? power supply. I would like to move one of the fans to run in conjunction with the LED active status. basically i would like the fan to kick on whenever the LED's are on.

i have AC power and 48v dc power in the fixture that i can tap into. the bluefish also has an open channel (6 channels. 5 for led and one left open) but apparently not able to control the fan. can someone try and explain to me what i would need to separate the fan control? Fan only has red and black wires but i can replace it with a 3 or 4 wire PWM one.

thank you in advance.

fixture 1.jpeg

Breakout board.jpg

dc Converter.jpg

Wall Wart Converter .jpg

Last edited:

If the bluefish is not able to drive the fan, then it can turn on a transistor which then carries power to the fan.

There's a question of specs about the bluefish outputs, whether it turns on a load by (a) supplying positive voltage, or (b) providing a path to 0V ground?

Your wall wart appears to have a slider switch set at 5v. Is that what the fans are rated for?

To tell the truth, the easiest and least risky method might be to have a photosensor detect when led's are lit. The photosensor conducts current to bias a transistor On, and turn on the fan.

If the bluefish is not able to drive the fan, then it can turn on a transistor which then carries power to the fan.

There's a question of specs about the bluefish outputs, whether it turns on a load by (a) supplying positive voltage, or (b) providing a path to 0V ground?

Your wall wart appears to have a slider switch set at 5v. Is that what the fans are rated for?

To tell the truth, the easiest and least risky method might be to have a photosensor detect when led's are lit. The photosensor conducts current to bias a transistor On, and turn on the fan.

Hi.. thank you for the reply. I got it down to connecting a stepper to the 48v power supply and reduce to 12v.

**broken link removed**

I can connect PMW fan to board and run to BF for control.

hi.. so i wound up just disconnecting the entire led rig from the chassis and shipping it to the guy who sold it to me. he did whatever he had to do, and i reinstalled everything without a hitch. but somewhere along the way, the fan power cable came unplugged and by the time i discovered something was wrong, one of the LED arrays was damaged (i think anyways). it started flickering and when it did light, it was at diminished intensity. sometimes for a brief moment it works as if nothing is wrong at all. honestly, i am a capable noob at this and i am positive i am just not following the correct procedures here. can you guys point me in the right direction using a multi meter so i can identify the bad component on the Royal Blue channel so i can replace it?

thank you.

Attachments

• continuity.pdf
    186.9 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

sometimes for a brief moment it works as if nothing is wrong at all.

Intermittent problems are a frustrating kind to track down, aren't they?

It could be overheated led's. It could be a bad contact. It's important to find out if the fault is in:
* entire led array
* one led in an array
* broken connector on an array
* broken or loose terminal strip
* defective wire.

As a first step to try, tighten all screw connections. Wobble the wires a bit as you power the led's. Avoid putting strain on the led arrays.

Test each array individually from a power supply in the simplest, easiest to diagnose hookup. Stay under a safe current level. (Your meter should be on the 10 Ampere setting, unless you understand whether a lower Amp setting will or won't blow a fuse.)

If you're lucky enough to find that only one single led is faulty, it may be possible to bypass it by soldering in a resistor (or wire), allowing remaining led's to light normally.

thank you for the reply. the guy who sold me the light sent me a new array, a board with 2 meanwell drivers and a dc converter so i could plug it in and with 2 lead wires, test each array by sending current through the RB channel. with this method, i was able to test array 1 then, sending current to the entry of array 1, test outgoing from each array until i hit a bad one. i was able to bypass the RB channel in the bad array and the issue is resolved for now until i get to soldering lol.

there must a be simple way to test latent current or whatever to tell the bad array with a simple multi meter measurement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back