Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to adjust the feed line of 3x3 patch array

Status
Not open for further replies.

huytergan

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I stuck with some questions about 3x3 patch array. It's said that patch antenna frequently is 200 Ohm. Is it always? Ain't that change with antenna design parameters such as length? Do I have to consider each patch is 200 Ohm and design the feed lines in respect to 200 Ohm and at the end of the antenna, transform it to 50 Ohm which's I wanna feed the antenna with?
1e.PNG

Input impedance of the patch antenna depends by many factors as: Length, Width, substrate height, substrate dielectric constant.
You can design the patch antenna for a desired input impedance, to match with a particular feed line impedance.
Or you can do in the other way, to change the feed line impedance to match with a particular patch antenna input impedance.

https://www.emtalk.com/mpacalc.php?...&L_units_list=Lmm&Wa=30&W_units_list=Wmm&Rin=

For 3x3 patch array you can divide it to three 1x3 sub-arrays, then use 1-to-3 microstrip power divider to feed each sub-array.
1-to-3 microstrip power divider is the same as https://www.microwaves101.com/encyclopedias/n-way-wilkinson-splitters but without resistors. 50 Ohm line may be divided to three 150 Ohm lines, or to three 50 Ohm lines through sqrt(3)*50=86 Ohm transformers. For 200 Ohm patch you can use inset feeding or virtual impedance. Virtual impedance: patch feeding point is 200 Ohm. We can connect this point Zp with quarterwave transformer Zq to some wider line Zwide, Zq=sqrt(Zp*Zwide). For example, 100=sqrt(200*50).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back