Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Does a small 30mAh Lithium cell require battery protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kender

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Stanford, SF Bay Peninsula, California, Earth, Sol
Activity points
Folks,

Does a tiny 30mAh Lithium-polymer battery require a protection circuit? Do Lithium-polymer batteries have an "intrinsically safe below certain size" limit?

I'm posting this question to the Professional Design rubric, because I'm interested in this question from a standards standpoint. I know that excessively high charge voltage and excessively low discharge voltage are harmful from the battery longevity standpoint.

Any suggestion, insight or reference is really appreciated!

Sincerely,
- Nick

Hi,

I would have thought so as lithium is still lithium whether 30mAh or 10,000mAh. I don't think 'intrinsically safe' is proportional to size. This 30mAh cell has the same kind of charging and discharging requirements as any other such as temperature range and max. charge voltage and current. Is a small exposion or fire safer than a big one? ;) You could ask the manufacturer of a cell you're interested in who should provide suitable information.

401018 Rechargeable 3.7V 30mAh Lithium Polymer Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back