Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A Circular-Polarization Reconfigurable Meng-Shaped Patch Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

promach

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Have anyone simulated this antenna with chinese character ?

What is the purpose of the pin diode in this antenna ?

meng_antenna_dimension.png

pin_diode_meng_antenna.png

Attachments

• DesignWithPINDiodes.pdf
    142.8 KB · Views: 210

The antenna has circular polarization, and the PIN diodes are used to switch from Right Hand (RH) polarization to Left Hand (LH) polarization.
I never seen this complicated antenna until now. Perhaps any of the simple antennas presented below works better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ZxI0SbUpk

I do not understand how the pin diode in the paper actually related to circular polarization

circular_polarization_wikipedia.jpg

The designer of this structure with a shape of a Chinese character, after he built it, found that it radiate EM waves.
Also he found that it radiate with circular polarization.
Later, he found that when shorting (or opened) different elements (part of the Chinese character), the structure can switch between RH and LH polarization.

This is my story, but may not be far from reality...

Yes, from the layout it looks like his very first RF design. Not really what experienced RF designers would route ...
I would not expect too much from this antenna, it seems to be more fun than engineering/science ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back