Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[moved] Xilinx Ethernet Interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

princez

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I need guidance on using SFP port on ML605. I am unclear which IP core to use with it. There are a number of 1G and 10G cores available which confuses me. There are cores which state that they are MAC controllers, while some say they implement the PCS/PMA . which one do i exactly need?

There are a number of 1G and 10G cores available which confuses me..........................................which one do i exactly need?
That depends on how fast you want to transfer the Ethernet data. Are you clear on that?

If you want speeds of 1G or less, then RJ45 needs to be used. For higher Ethernet speeds use the SPF cage.

Actually i want to transfer my data using 10G Ethernet connection. Xilinx offer variety of cores for 10G. There are some that state they are MAC and some that state the core has just PCS/PMA. What do i actually need to transfer my data from FPGA to another card, using 10G Ethernet connection?

I don't think the sfp on the ml605 supports 10gbps. The tx/rn lines connect directly to the FPGA, but the Virtex6-240lxt only has the ~6gbps transceivers. I think only the hxt version of the fpga has the 10+ gbps transceiver.

I think you need an FMC board with a xaui 10gbps phy, or a dev board with an fpga that supports 10gbps.

Reactions: princez

princez

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back