Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which common mode choke has the lowest leakage inductance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

Hello,
Please assist on the best way to make a common mode choke for our SMPS output?

We are doing a common mode choke for the output of our 48V 6.7A output SMPS.
We want as little differential mode inductance as possible (as little leakage inductance as possible).
This is because output inductance will not help the stability situation.

Which Common mode choke in the attached will have the lowest leakage inductance? Can you estimate it in each case?
(a single three turn coil has a 10.75uH inductance)

The common mode choke is well needed because we have several SMPS’s in parallel, and without the chokes (at the output of each one) , there will be large ground loops in which noise currents can flow.

Torroid datasheet:
https://www.farnell.com/datasheets/...MI_NGs4dnd6AIVCLLtCh3CTADWEAAYASAAEgIWQfD_BwE

Attachments

• Common mode choke comparison.jpg
    Common mode choke comparison.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 212

Wind the two wires bi-filar - and make sure they have insulation - e.g. double insulated wire ( teflon ) or for LV, e.g. 48V: PEI 180 deg C

this is the lowest DM inductance - or leakage on the CM choke.

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks,
The only wire available to buy , in our small quantities , is enamelled copper wire…
https://uk.farnell.com/pro-power/ec...ansparent/dp/1230985?st=enamelled copper wire

Since its too dangerous to wind this bi-filar (?), we will have to go with the “separated coil” common mode choke method. Hopefully the leakage inductance is not too high? Hopefully it will be around 300nH?..and no more.
We may just wind two turns on each half of the coil, in order to reduce the leakage inductance value.

The actual inductance of two turns is just 4.68uH.....so i would think leakage would be a maximum of 3% of that(?)...thats 140nH

for 48VDC - just sleeve one or both of the wires, heatshrink - any thing ...

T

I'd expect that enamelled wire of any category is safe for 48 VDC, without supplementary insulation. If you are not sure about appropriate manufacturing, you may perform a Hi-Pot test, test voltage 250V according to IEC 61558.

Thanks, will do...we need to purchase a low quantity of 0.25mm Enamelled copper wire....say just 10 metres of it as we only want to wind 8 common mode chokes.
Unfortunately, it doesnt seem to sell in such low lengths......maplins used to sell it such but they are now gone. Sorry to ask, but Do you know of any low-length vendor for enamelled copper wire?

Bifilar is fine for 48V.

Wire is so cheap it doesn't make sense to sell it in such small quanities. 100m should be less than 10 Euro.

0.25mm is used in many ribbon cables, I think. I've used it for prototype multifilar windings in the past with good results.

T

Thanks, we’d like to heatshrink one of the coils of enamelled copper wire in case the ECW gets nicked.

Interestingly, if we only heatshrink one of the coils, then when I twist them together, all that happens is that I end up twisting the non-heatshrinked coil round the heatshrinked one….this means that the non-heatshrinked coil ends up obviously being a longer length than the heatshrinked coil (the heatshrinked coil just remains straight). As such, will this have any effect on the coupling between the coils?...ie, will it mean there is more leakage inductance? (ie diff mode inductance).

1) any asymmetric solution is a compromise

2) the further the wires are apart the higher the leakage

3) oftentimes a practical compromise is the best engineering solution

T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back