Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Passive UHF RFID Tag Chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rohi_bobi

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

i am in search of Passive RFID Tag Chip (IC) that operates at UHF (860 to 940 MHz). I need this Tag IC for temperature monitoring application so it will be useful if it supports SPI /I2C communication feature so that i can have micro controller to read temperature and transfer the data to reader via RFID tag.

Frequency of operation : 860 to 960 MHz.
Interface : I2C / SPI.

I have been looking for this IC for past one month, I have gone through all leading manufacturer sites. It will be helpful if anyone can suggest manufacture name

mail id : [deleted by moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm confused - you want a passive RFID device that supports SPI/I2C ?

Passive RFID uses RF (there's a surprise!) so they don't need any other interface. Please clarify your needs.

Brian.

I'm confused - you want a passive RFID device that supports SPI/I2C ?

Passive RFID uses RF (there's a surprise!) so they don't need any other interface. Please clarify your needs.

Brian.

Hi Brain,

My requirement is to measure the temperature of the device and transmit the temperature to the reader.

I have a design where i use RFID Chip which has SPI interface, RFID Chip harvest energy from RF (UHF) and it also communicate with micro-controller through SPI interface micro-controller will read the temperature of the device through NTC and transmit the same to RFID Tag. RFID tag will convert the data in RFID data format and transmit the same to RFID reader.

The issue with the design is the range of operation, i need to achieve 4.5 meter range but with my design we could achieve only 1 meter distance.

We made different iteration to increase the antenna gain but it was not working. Henceforth i am in search of new RFID IC which have better sensitivity.

Hi,

Let me elaborate my requirement we are planning to design RFID tag with our customized requirements.

RFID tag has to read the temperature (180 to 300 D Celsius) of the device and should transmit the same to the reader, We are looking for passive RFID chip which operates at UHF band.

Since temperature sense range is huge we cant go with temperature sensor integrated RFID chip so we planned to use NTC(thermistor) to read the temperature.

We designed RFID tag with passive RFID chip that can harvest the power from RF and can able to source the micro-controller too.

Micro-controller will read the temperature from NTC connected to it and write the temperature value in RFID registers through SPI interface.

Our range of measurement is 4.5 meters but we could able to achieve 1 meter so we planned to change RFID chip which can support better sensitivity.

RFID chips with interface for additional components are available on the market, e.g. from NXP. Range will be presumedly mainly determined by the energy harvesting efficiency and power consumption of the additional components.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back