Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is it possible to repair this touch Screen FCP Cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mraaron895

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Forgive me in advance if any of my component terms are incorrect, or if this is the wrong place to post this.

My Background & the Situation:
I'm a Filmmaker and just recently purchased a broken Touch Screen monitor off Ebay.

The Issue: (I've included photos)
It appears that the problem is a torn FPC or Ribbon/Flex cable.

Resolution:
This is a custom cable that is no longer manufactured by RED (The camera company). I've seen a few videos of repairs on flex cables, is this possible? Is there a business or anyone that would take a repair like this on?

Thank you in advance.

-Aaron

Attachments

• IMG_20200405_191649.jpg
    IMG_20200405_191649.jpg
    537.8 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20200405_191705.jpg
    IMG_20200405_191705.jpg
    507 KB · Views: 90

Hi,

Difficult to repair.
What about buying another defective monitor of same type?

Klaus

VERY hard to repair properly, especially as there is a screw hole next to the damage. It looks as though someone didn't fit the cable properly and the screw went through the cable.

If I had to attempt a repair, I would try using conductive paint to 'glue' a thin copper sliver over the original track ends the coat it with lacquer to insulate it afterwards. You can buy PCB repair kits but they are generally for bridging rigid tracks where soldering is possible. I have no idea of the original equipment layout, maybe it would be possible to use conventional wires to bridge the breaks but connected further away from the break itself.

Brian.

Thank you very much for the replies. I am on the lookout for a used replacement monitor for parts.

Another Question:

The other end of the FCP cable is soldered to a 16 Pin Lemo connector. Would it be possible to build a new cable that terminates the same way as pictured? It of course would be bigger, but there is space to do so inside the monitor.

Hi,

For sure you may design an identical flexprint.

Klaus

I'm not sure if this is against forum policy, and forgive me if it is, but I would really like to hire this job out to someone who has the skill and ability to fix or replace this cable. Any advice on how to seek such an individual out? I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Status
Not open for further replies.