Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Testing station/ area design

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpha91

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all, I am planning to make a small area in my study room for my electronic project.
Some times might need to wire up for DC power supplies and other AC equipment, so I am planning to include some safety feature on my AC connection which able to protect user from electrical shock.
May I ask is it a good idea to put a lower amp (6A) circuit breaker from the socket?
For example I make an extension box which have this breaker inside and my project and device connect to this extension.
So if anything goes wrong the breaker will trip and protect myself.

Last edited:

Hi,

please explain in detail what you mean with "safety".

6A will limit the load current...but it won´t protect you against electric shock. In worst case even 25mA may cause your heart to get confused. This is far away from 6A .. and the body current will never gat in the region of 6A make the fuse to trip.
Maybe an RCD is a better tool for protection.

Safety has a lot of aspects, so please explain.

Klaus

Hi,

please explain in detail what you mean with "safety".

6A will limit the load current...but it won´t protect you against electric shock. In worst case even 25mA may cause your heart to get confused. This is far away from 6A .. and the body current will never gat in the region of 6A make the fuse to trip.
Maybe an RCD is a better tool for protection.

Safety has a lot of aspects, so please explain.

Klaus

Hi Klaus, thanks for your fast reply. I am sorry for my bad explanation
My safety means that protect anyone who are doing testing in that area from electrical shock.
I saw most of the water heater having ELCB for protection so i thought it might be a good protection.
But I not sure is there any other better method to this.

Hi,

I have no idea what voltage (range) you are talking about... and AC or DC... what is your "area"? (isolated, earth grounded?)
What is meant by "doing testing"? Tetsing what? under which conditions?

My safety means that protect anyone who are doing testing in that area from electrical shock.
A complete protectio simply is not possible. If anyone touches two live wires with more than 60V AC may get killed in worst case.
There is no protection against it.
Useful methods:
* Teach the people about the risk ... and tech them not to touch the wires.
* use SELV / PELV / FELV

Do an internet search about protection systems and how they work, RCD, ELCB, SELV...

Klaus

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.