Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solving issues in my PCB grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

HasHx

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am testing a PCB that i have designed, it is a 4-layer design and has various digital components, everything works fine but the issue is that when i touch any GND point i get electrocuted. any idea where this comes from?

I guess there's no high voltage generated on the board. Hence it's a problem of the power supply. What is it?

Reactions: HasHx

HasHx

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
This is likely SMPS problem.It's not dangerous much but should be carefully examined.
My TV receiver is SONY and when I check the voltage on his chassis with a electrical tester, I see some electrical leakage.But your case is more dangerous thought.

Reactions: HasHx

HasHx

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hello,

Thanks for replying to my thread.

I went over the issue again today and i realized that it could be because of the external power supply I am using, it is: https://product.tdk.com/info/en/catalog/datasheets/ls25-150_e.pdf

could it be the cause of the problem? because when i turned the device on and sourced power from the battery (which is connected to the boost converter) the problem disappeared.

Regards.

TDL Lambda has very good reputation and I believe it has been tested very well before supplied. But every system may have a fault so if the voltage leaking is not shocking level, it may be omitted.
The best way to measure the current between SMPS chassis and true GND.If there is more than current (mA or better uA level) than specified, it should be replaced.

What about the earthing of your bench ?

The best way to measure the current between SMPS chassis and true GND.If there is more than current (mA or better uA level) than specified, it should be replaced.
The SMPS is a Class I device, designed to be operated with proper proctective earth connection. The problem description suggests that the PE connection is missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back