Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where to use this low gain and low profile Microstrip Patch Antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

huytergan

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I designed a MSP antenna with patch dimensions of 15x17 mm for 2.4 GHz with return loss of -35 dB. (I can call it very low profile for 2.4 GHz). However, owing to shaping my ground plane, the antenna gain is quite low, -0.5 dBi. Does that antenna can be used with LNA for an application such as for cell phones, if yes, what do you think should be the minimum gain for a cell phone? I know cell phones use PIFAs and there's something in my mind that I googled, an iPhone 5 antenna gain said that having -1.5 dBi at 2.4 GHz. Is it without an LNA? and does my designed antenna be able to used for a cell phone by any chance?

Well, directivity is almost 3 dBi and radiation efficiency is 44%. I used/sacrificed some part of effective area of ground plane for the purpose of shifting the resonance frequency to 2.4 GHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back