Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to make diy inverter

Status
Not open for further replies.

dl09

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i am planning to build a sine wave inverter. the sine wave is not a smooth sine wave. to make the sine wave the voltage is first 30 volts, then 60 volts then 90 volts, then 120 volts, then 90 volts, then 60 volts, then 30 volts, then - 30 volts, then - 60 volts, then - 90 volts, then - 120, then -90 volts, then -60 volts, then -30 volts, then this pattern repeats. if i feed this pattern to my laptop recharger, my laptop recharger will recharge my laptop and won't get damaged? the specifications on my laptop recharger say 100 to 220 volts.

i don't think that's a good idea
you charger is designed for 120V AC, not a stepped square wave.

what is the output voltage of the charger - the voltage that goes into your laptop?

whatever source you were going to use to produce your (not a) sin wave can be used
to produce the actual voltages your charger produces and you can feed that into your laptop

Hi,

From all your previous posts... it's too early for you to do such projects.
Start to learn electronics basics.

Klaus

i don't think that's a good idea
you charger is designed for 120V AC, not a stepped square wave.

what is the output voltage of the charger - the voltage that goes into your laptop?

whatever source you were going to use to produce your (not a) sin wave can be used
to produce the actual voltages your charger produces and you can feed that into your laptop

the laptop charger output is 19.5 volts and 3.34 amps. so feed that to the laptop instead?

120VAC is 120V RMS that has peak voltages of 170V so the waveform goes from 0V smoothly up to +170V then smoothly down to -170V then smoothly up again to +170V then down again smoothly to -170V over and over.
Your voltage steps are not smooth so they do not make a sinewave.

the laptop charger output is 19.5 volts and 3.34 amps. so feed that to the laptop instead?

Yes, if it's available. What is your power source? It may be easier to convert that. It's likely the laptop can operate on 19V... maybe even 18V or 17V.

There's a hurdle in obtaining the right connector to plug into the laptop. It is not necessarily a conventional coax power plug. Or do you intend to clip off the plug coming from your charger?

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, I recall hearing that computer power supplies work fine when fed AC square-waves. Example, discussion below:

https://electronics.stackexchange.c...wave-inverter-as-source-for-my-laptop-charger

19.5 volts and 3.34 amps sounds like 65w, ie low enough to not need power factor correction.
So its probably just an offline flyback converter.
So in this case, you would be best off just putting say {mains peak - 10%) volts into it, and powering it like that, if you wanted.

By the way, I recall hearing that computer power supplies work fine when fed AC square-waves.
Quite right, many SPMS are even working well with DC input, although not specified.

A popular class of cheap inverters uses so called "modified sine wave", actually a square wave with 50 percent duty cycle which has both RMS and peak voltage equal to a sine wave of same nominal voltage. It can supply a wide range of devices with correct voltage.

your best bet is to go to the laptop manufacturer's website and
buy a new charger

you know it will work
it will be faster and easier
and, it is likely that in the long run it will cost less

and follow KlausST's advice in post #3

Your idea is to use voltage steps is like this modified sinewave waveform but your peak voltage is 120V instead of the required almost 170V:

Attachments

• 120VAC.png
    120VAC.png
    39.2 KB · Views: 121

the above modified sine wave will power a lap top charger as will even cruder modified sine system of a single step - mainly because the laptop adapter has a bridge rectifier from which it operates - of course large edges mean quite high spike currents into the lap top charger ....

Status
Not open for further replies.