Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] [moved] Speaker wattage not known

Status
Not open for further replies.

pgr2002

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am having two speakers of oval shaped ones. Its value is 6 ohms. There are no markings on the speakers regarding minimal technical details on the speaker magnets. It is 9 inches in length & 5 inches in breadth. I want to know how many of wattage power it can take so that I can use suitable power amplifier. Is there a way to calculate the wattage of the speakers in the absence of technical details? Please share.

Re: Speaker wattage not known

Hi,

Neither the Ohm value nor the size will show what wattage it can stand.
Oval speakers are often used in old music devices (1960ies). Is this the case with your speaker?

Whether or not ... it does not make much difference.

I assume it can withstand a couple of watts. Maybe 1..10W true RMS Watts.
You may use a 0.1W amplifier or a 250W amplifer. It will work for normal sound level.

With a 0.1W amplifier and increasing sound level, you will hear distortions caused by the amplifier's limit (clipping)
With a 10W amplifier it will depend on the type of music (frequency, frequency range) what will limit the sound level vs sound quality.
With a 250W amplifier it will be the speaker that is the sound quality limiting device.

In either case: When you hear the sound becoming distorted it is a good reason to reduce sound level.

Klaus

To some extent you can gauge speaker quality by the size of the magnet. A small magnet (say 1.5 inch diameter.) suggests it's for low volume and low power.

A large magnet (3 inch diam.) suggests it's louder and can take more power. And probably has better bass response.

To some extent you can gauge speaker quality by the size of the magnet. A small magnet (say 1.5 inch diameter.) suggests it's for low volume and low power.

A large magnet (3 inch diam.) suggests it's louder and can take more power. And probably has better bass response.

The size of the magnet is 3.5 inches in diameter.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi,

Neither the Ohm value nor the size will show what wattage it can stand.
Oval speakers are often used in old music devices (1960ies). Is this the case with your speaker?

Whether or not ... it does not make much difference.

I assume it can withstand a couple of watts. Maybe 1..10W true RMS Watts.
You may use a 0.1W amplifier or a 250W amplifer. It will work for normal sound level.

With a 0.1W amplifier and increasing sound level, you will hear distortions caused by the amplifier's limit (clipping)
With a 10W amplifier it will depend on the type of music (frequency, frequency range) what will limit the sound level vs sound quality.
With a 250W amplifier it will be the speaker that is the sound quality limiting device.

In either case: When you hear the sound becoming distorted it is a good reason to reduce sound level.

Klaus

The size of the speaker magnet is 3.5 inches in diameter.

- - - Updated - - -

The size of the speaker magnet is 3.5 inches in diameter

The size of the magnet is 3.5 inches in diameter.

That gives a starting point. Only a small part of the input power is converted into sound pressure waves; the rest is dissipated as heat in the coils.

As an approximation, you can consider the speaker as a simple electrical motor. The diameter of the cone (because yours is an oval shape, you need to consider the average) is the load (the pressure the cone has to move against).

If the diameter is 10 inches (say 250-300mm), it can perhaps handle more than 10W RMS.

Instead of using old speakers with unknown ratings, why not buy two modern Name-Brand speakers that have detailed datasheets with all the spec's you need?

From what I've seen speaker ratings are pure marketing
fiction.

There's how much power you can take without damage
and there's how much before it just sounds like cr@p.
What's the ratings basis? And what's the basis that
you actually care about?

Reactions: d123

d123

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Cheeep speakers either have no spec's or have just a few lies. Good speakers made by a well known company with a good reputation are truthful with their spec's.
There are a few people like me who like music but hate distortion, and the rest of the people are tone deaf and like to hear acid rock and RAP.
Good speakers play music properly and cheeep speakers play acid rock and RAP just fine.

You just blew my mental picture of you right out of the water Audioguru: multicolored dreadlocks, punk rocker, leather jacket full of metal studs and in a trance from listening to too much grunge musik. :laugh:

Brian.

Car speakers here are 6" x 9" and are driven with 15W per channel.
I do not know what speakers are in India because it is very far away from here.
Maybe the question should be asked on a website forum in India.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back