Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What's the most durable PCB type and finish for exposed application?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ben5243

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Just curious if anyone has any recommendations for PCB processes or finish types for the most durable pads.

The application is a docking-type cradle where one side of the PCB will be exposed to air, fingers, etc with only pads and mask (no components or solder).

I think the standard soldermask and ENIG copper pads are fine, but if there's anything I can request that's even better for durability, please let me know so I can read up on it :smile:

put the board in a box and add an environment appropriate bulkhead connector
use an appropriate mating connector on the other part

put the board in a box and add an environment appropriate bulkhead connector
use an appropriate mating connector on the other part

Okay let's pretend I'm doing that. But let's also pretend I want the most durable PCB pads that money can buy for my PCB that's safely inside a sealed box. What processes are more durable than others?

(In reality, the "exposed" PCB will only be occasionally exposed. 99% of the time it will be mated inside a sealed piston or have a blanking plug that's also sealed covering it.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back