Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Circuit that detects when an external event induces electrical energy

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikrovolt

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
The circuit was developed to show on an oscilloscope when there is an increase in EM energy from an unconventional method. By an increase in EM energy I mean it is capable of performing beneficial work. I call this simple circuit "The Current Depleted Wave". Even a small change in the depleted wave is instantly visible on the scope giving immediate feedback and showing any changes in wave shape unlike the conventional subroutine of measuring voltage and amperage then converting into wattage. The depleted wave circuit.

The Depleted Wave.JPG

That doesn't make sense and what on Earth is "an unconventional method"? The green waveform could at best be due to resonance in the inductor but the shape is wrong.
If all you are trying to monitor is evidence of a nearby energy source, remove the inductor and diode and just use a voltage probe.

Brian.

kindly explain depletion wave
how high does that green spike go? are all of the green spikes the same height?
kindly zoom in on one of the green spikes at the sine wave zero crossing
what happens when the frequency of the sin wave changes?
what mechanism produces the green spike on every other falling edge zero crossing of sin wave?

I wonder, as this as at 13.6MHz (=13.56?) whether the waveform is from an RFID transceiver. It would account for the pulsed shape but the technical description is still nonsense.

Brian.

I believe the series diode & inductor causes a series of Off-and-On events in a simulator...

As voltage drops below diode threshold, turning it off...
at which time the inductor tries to maintain current flow, so it generates greater voltage...
Thus the diode turns on again. Etc.

The simulator calculates these steps mathematically, with ideal components.
In practice, a diode is commonly placed across the inductor to absorb spikes when current flow is turned off abruptly.

@Brad
your explanation may be correct, but it doesn't explain why it happens every other falling zero crossing

i'm thinking its seeing chaos

at some lower frequency, there are no spikes
at the present frequency, the spikes are all the same height
at some larger frequency, the spikes sill alternate between two different heights
etc

real circuits show chaotic behavior, depending on various conditions
it may be that the models of the inductor and the diode produce chaos in a simulation
hence my list of questions in post 3

Should we try to read sense into an unclear MultiSim simulation waveform? I don't think so.

@Brad
your explanation may be correct, but it doesn't explain why it happens every other falling zero crossing

My simulation shows another side of circuit action (although it does not provide a full explanation.) At left the layout is similar to the OP. At right the diode points in the other direction.

Current lag is evident (characteristic of inductors). As current drops to zero the diode and inductor get into a 'struggle', creating simulated oscillations. The waveforms are not necessarily identical.

inductor diode series AC supply simulator creates oscillations when current drops to zero.png

Status
Not open for further replies.