Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Considering the power amplifier for complex modulate signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

caoquyen164

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all,
I'm choosing a 1W power amplifier for QAM 256, 20MHz bandwidth signal.
as far I know, the QAM256. 20MHz signal is such like the below.
signal.PNG

the the total power of 20mhz signal is 1W=30dbm, the power of a 1HZ bandwidth signal is 30-10log(20*10^6)= -43dbm. besides, the PAR of 256QAM ~ 7-> the peak power of a signal is -36dbm.
so, I just need a power amplifier which can stand only -36dbm (may be need some more back-off). Did I wrong ?

Hi,
Peak power of a signal isn't -36 dBm. Its rather -36dBm/Hz which is power spectral density. First you must define peak power of your signal to properly fit amplifier.
Marcin

Are there any guidelines on how to define the peak power of the signal properly?

Crest factor of different QAM signals can be easily found in literature, just ask Google. It's 4.23 dB for 256QAM, means you need at least 2.7 W amplifier peak power for 1 W average. I presume it's a single carrier signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.