Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help Diagnose/Repair Samsung Odyssey+ VR HMD

Status
Not open for further replies.

joystik

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys. Asking for help to repair this VR HMD.

Tl;Dr: I screwed up and sent 12v on the usb power to the oddysey HMD. Now only recognized as usb 2.1 device instead of 3.0 or 3.1 like before.

I got this VR HMD from samsung, on sale from amazon. However, I had problems and wasn't getting recognized as a monitor, only the usb 3.0+ device, so I searched everywhere and the most likely cause was insufficient power from USB ports. Bought a PCIe USB 3.0 dual port card with molex power connector for it, but the power connector came off when I applied a little force. So, I went ahead and soldered back on...but, backwards( :palm:).

To be honest, I felt really proud with the solder job, until I connected the hmd, and nothing happened, wasnt recognized at all. So, I disconnected it and connected a usb flash drive, which blew up immediately. I checked the card again and noticed the inverted connector and soldered it properly this time.

Checked with another flash drive, and worked ok. Tested all other ports and all of them were ok. The HMD, however, is recognized but only in USB 2.1 mode, not in 3.0 like before.

I disassembled the HMD and checked the PCB, which looks pretty intact. No notieceably burnt components or traces. I opened up the cable connector, which has a pcb and some components, but same here. No burn signs.

I have no experience troubleshooting USB issues. I suspect there must be an issue with the usb hub controller (GL3510), but I dont know how to test it.

If anyone could walk me through it, I would really appreciate it.

Attachments

• IMG_4653.jpg
    IMG_4653.jpg
    553 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_4650.jpg
    IMG_4650.jpg
    524.8 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_4654(Edited).jpg
    IMG_4654(Edited).jpg
    263 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_4655(Edited).jpg
    IMG_4655(Edited).jpg