Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need suggestion to select an (1GHz) Oscilloscope (Tek 5 series Vs R&S RTO2000)

Status
Not open for further replies.

udhay_cit

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
For my company I need to select an oscilloscope with 1GHz BW, 4Ch analog. We have received an excellent offer from both Tektronix and R&S. Both are good and both has its own advantages and disadvantage which leads me confusion. Please give us your valuable opinions to select any one from these two.

Tektronix MSO54 5-BW-1000

Advantages:
1. Biggest and full HD screen with easy to use UI (my opinion)
2. Real 12bit ADC and individual ADC per channel.
3. 4 Channel 1GHz passive probe with very low capacitive load.
4. Standard embedded OS and optional windows 10.
5. Flexible analog or digital channels (not interested in digital channels now, but just mentioning here)

Disadvantages:
1. 6.25 GS/s for each channel which is good, but lower compared to 10 Gs/s of RTO2000
2. Rise time is only 400pS for 1GHz scope. So the real BW=0.35/400pS = 875MHz
3. 500,000 wfm/s is low compared to 1M wfm/s of RTO
4. Price $15,300 compared to R&S $3,400 cost more

Rohde & Schwarz RTO-2000

Advantages:
1. 10 GS/s independent of number of channels.
2. Rise time 350pS which is the real bandwidth is 0.35/350pS=1Ghz
3. Can be upgraded upto 4GHz (not interested at least now)
4. Ultra fast update rate 1M wfm/s.
5. Windows 7 comes default (don't know advantage or disadvantage. is there any possibility of windows corrupt?)
6. Lower price EUR. 10,700 ($3,400 lesser compared to Tek)
7. Supplier offering two 8GHz passive probe RT-ZZ80 but the impedance of the probe is only 500Ω.

Disadvantages:
1. 12.1" 1280x800 display (compared to Tek its low)
2. Default 500MHz probe.
3. 8bit ADC (16bit at high resolution)

Each one has its own advantages and disadvantages. I don't consider the price as a point (because I'm not going to pay). Both are giving really good hardware and good support. I like both and I'm really in confusion. So please give me your feedback on these points.

Thanks in advance
Udhay

Re: Need suggestion to select an (1GHz) Oscilloscope (Tek 5 series Vs R&S RTO2000)

Go with Tektronix in my opinion.

Re: Need suggestion to select an (1GHz) Oscilloscope (Tek 5 series Vs R&S RTO2000)

As you said both oscilloscopes are good. I think you have to choose depending from the need you have. For instance 12 bit is a plus if you really need more dynamics, otherwise you could be more interested in the higher sampling rate.
I don't think there is much difference between windows or a proprietary OS.

You sure you have the right price? I see a starting price of 14500 for the 5 series with 350Mhz bandwidth.

I recently added a Tek3 series to our lab and I like it. The UI isn't totally amazing but it's good and the touch screen is useful.

Have you considered probes and other accessories? Differential probes, current probes etc can often be the real difference between debugging a problem or not and add substantial cost. We already had a lot invested in Tek probes so I never seriously considered the other brands (we use siglent on the low end).

Status
Not open for further replies.