Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Unbuffered cells and how does it affect timing constraints

Status
Not open for further replies.

janthonym

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi there,

I've read in the liberty spec that you can add another dimension to the constraint tables (2D setup/hold -> 3D setup/hold)|(1D mpw -> 2D mpw).

The extra dimension is the output load where you can specify the related_output attribute.

How does the output load affect the hold and setup time values?

I haven't seen a lot of documentation on this so if someone could either clear this up or point me a textbook that I can read about modelling the effects of unbuffered outputs for constraint tables I would greatly appreciate it :thumbsup:

Thanks in advance :cool:

Unbuffered cells have lower and more asymmetric drive
strength ("buffered" merely means the output is a regular
inverter or series pair, sinbgle-stack while (say) a nand4
would have a 4-high NMOS output stack and 4 parallel
PMOS, so expect HL drive strength to be low and loading
sensitivity of that transition, high).

If you've got a ton of slack or a known-light and close-haul
load then unbuffered.

There should be a point where the buffered and unbuffered
show equal delays (@ center PVT, or @ WC - the latter
being what you'd probably design to) and knowing that
"crossover point" might let you make off-the-cuff decisions
about what type to start with.

But libraries may also make that decision for you; I have
seen cases where, for example, nand2 is unbuffered but
nand3 and nand4 are buffered (for the stack-height
concern).

Hi there,

I've read in the liberty spec that you can add another dimension to the constraint tables (2D setup/hold -> 3D setup/hold)|(1D mpw -> 2D mpw).

The extra dimension is the output load where you can specify the related_output attribute.

How does the output load affect the hold and setup time values?

for timing, the 2D tables are related to the input transition and to the output load. I am not sure I understand what the third dimension is. Are you sure it is called output load?

For the third dimension (I'm just reading the Liberty User Guide) and the third variable is
"related_out_total_output_net_capacitance".
Here is what the excerpt says:

Code:
Create a three-dimensional table template that uses two variables and indexes to model
transition time and the third variable and index to model load. The variable values for
representing output loading on the related_output_pin are:

related_out_total_output_net_capacitance
related_out_output_net_length
related_out_output_net_wire_cap
related_out_output_net_pin_cap

For the third dimension (I'm just reading the Liberty User Guide) and the third variable is Here is what the excerpt says:

Code:
Create a three-dimensional table template that uses two variables and indexes to model
transition time and the third variable and index to model load. The variable values for
representing output loading on the related_output_pin are:

related_out_total_output_net_capacitance
related_out_output_net_length
related_out_output_net_wire_cap
related_out_output_net_pin_cap

It looks like there are two indexes for input transition, and one index for load.

I would guess this is somehow an approach to account for the S-shaped curve instead of a perfect transition on the input of the cell. This is commonly seen in liberty files, it's called driver cell or driver waveform.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back