Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IC TDA2004R Electrical specifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

wondrous

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
HI
I have audio ic ( tda2004R )
and wont to supply it
i have 12v @2a and 19.5v@3.4a
i need the max output from the ic
but the table of Absolute maximum ratings
in page 6 _ the first table
TDA.jpg
Output peak current 3.5 a
and for voltage it give three figure
what is the different between
Operating supply voltage and DC supply voltage
Data sheet in attachment
thanks in advance

Attachments

• TDA2004R.pdf
    293.4 KB · Views: 56

The TDA2004 is very old and has not been made for many years.

Its maximum allowed supply voltage is 18V when it is playing but can be 28V when it is not playing.
With your 12V supply and a 1.6 ohm speaker on each channel the output power will be about 6.4W per channel before clipping distortion. The peak current per channel will be 3.2A for a total of 6.4A that your 12V supply cannot produce.
A peak current of 2A for both channels is only 1A for each channel which is an output power of 0.8W into each 1.6 ohm speaker.
It will get very hot and will need a huge heatsink and maybe a fan.

thanks very much mr audioguru
the supply 19.5v @3.4a
is lap top charger
can i but lm7805 to decrease
19.5v or use LDO REGULATOR
and for current may i attach a pnp transistor as high current pass
also i can get pc power supply witch have high current capability
but I'm guessing it just 12v
also i can get 10 watt speaker but at what ohm ?
to obtain that 10 watt power
is the clipping happen because the current limit of the source?

TDA2004 was never a good device. It was designed to go in low cost record players and tape recorders. I think it went out of production in 1996!

The specifications shown are "Absolute maximum ratings", that means if you exceed those figures the device will be damaged. You really need the "Electrical Characteristics" table in the data sheet to see what it can reliably produce. In particular look at the distortion vs. output power graphs, you will see that despite it's size it produces serious distortion from about 2W upwards.

There are MUCH better devices these days that produce higher power, lower distortion and are far more power efficient.

Brian.

thanks very much mr audioguru
the supply 19.5v @3.4a
is lap top charger
can i but lm7805 to decrease
19.5v or use LDO REGULATOR
and for current may i attach a pnp transistor as high current pass
also i can get pc power supply witch have high current capability
but I'm guessing it just 12v
Buy or make a modern amplifier and a power supply for it.

also i can get 10 watt speaker but at what ohm ?
to obtain that 10 watt power
There are many speaker manufacturers and sellers like Part Express. Most speakers are 8 ohms for a home and are 4 ohms for a car. The amplifier datasheet will tell you the power supply voltage and current needed for 10W per channel into a 4 ohms or 8 ohms speaker.
is the clipping happen because the current limit of the source?
Clipping is the severe distortion produced by any amplifier when you turn up the volume too high so that it is trying to produce more power than is possible. If the supply voltage or current is limited then clipping will also happen.

TDA2004 was never a good device. It was designed to go in low cost record players and tape recorders. I think it went out of production in 1996!

The specifications shown are "Absolute maximum ratings", that means if you exceed those figures the device will be damaged. You really need the "Electrical Characteristics" table in the data sheet to see what it can reliably produce. In particular look at the distortion vs. output power graphs, you will see that despite it's size it produces serious distortion from about 2W upwards.

There are MUCH better devices these days that produce higher power, lower distortion and are far more power efficient.

Brian.

mr Brian thanks for your advice
sorry please can you help me to understand more about (THD: Total harmonic distortion)
What i can expect from THD figure in the data sheet

- - - Updated - - -

Buy or make a modern amplifier and a power supply for it.
that's a good advice ok i will try to do it

There are many speaker manufacturers and sellers like Part Express. Most speakers are 8 ohms for a home and are 4 ohms for a car. The amplifier datasheet will tell you the power supply voltage and current needed for 10W per channel into a 4 ohms or 8 ohms speaker.
i care about (bass)is the chose of speaker for BASS change here ?
Clipping is the severe distortion produced by any amplifier when you turn up the volume too high so that it is trying to produce more power than is possible. If the supply voltage or current is limited then clipping will also happen.
THANKS VERY MUCH

THD sounds bad like any amplifier with the volume turned up too high. For acid rock "noises" they like to have lots of fuzz and overdrive distortion. For most other music and speech, distortion should be less than 0.2%.

Usually a large speaker (8" in diameter or larger) produces good bass. The datasheet of a speaker shows its frequency response when it is in a fairly large enclosure.
The capacitor values for amplifier input and amplifier output must be calculated properly for good bass.
A bass boost circuit feeding the amplifier can be made that gives more bass and at lower frequencies.

thanks
i will consider that in my next planning

Status
Not open for further replies.