Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Wilkinson power Divider

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mabrok

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, regarding wilkinson power divider using ADS. What we can use to sperate the two TLs and specify WPD.png place for isolation resistor soldering as well. As per attached photo, I have used T-junctions (circled one), but it contributed in high losses. Any suggestions about this? Thanks in advanced

Your use of W3 in the TEE element looks wrong - that value is the width of the line connected at node 3.

You are missing line length between MTEE and MCORN that creates a distance between the two arms. For the resistor, try the thin film resistor element which has a finite size.

Reactions: Mabrok

Mabrok

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
The TL width settings look arbitrarily wrong. What are the intended port impedances?

Reactions: Mabrok

Mabrok

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Your use of W3 in the TEE element looks wrong - that value is the width of the line connected at node 3.

You are missing line length between MTEE and MCORN that creates a distance between the two arms. For the resistor, try the thin film resistor element which has a finite size.

The value of W3= 8.20 mm is the width of resistor that will be connected at this node.

- - - Updated - - -

The TL width settings look arbitrarily wrong. What are the intended port impedances?

50 ohm impedance

Is it necessary for W3 in Tee to be equal to the width of the resistor that will be connected at that edge? I mean in the term of the soldering during the fabrication process, if the width of the resistor larger than the width of the TL.

Is it necessary for W3 in Tee to be equal to the width of the resistor that will be connected at that edge?

Necessary in what sense, correct simulation or layout? Please show your layout.

The "normal and correct" use of this includes a length of line at port 3 of the MTEE, not just the MTEE. And w3 is then the width of that line. And that is where the resistor connects.

You abuse the elements in an unusual way, and leave out many elements that are usually included in such a Wilkinson schematic - for more accurate simulation and meaningful layout.

I mean in the term of the soldering during the fabrication process, if the width of the resistor larger than the width of the TL.

That's what I mean with abuse: the MTEE width at port 3 is the width of the element connected there. You now connect "something somewhere", and don't care about the values. I don't understand this careless and ignorant use of ADS schematic models - why not do it properly? Models are only accurate when using them as designed, within the documented limits. For "free layout" you better use EM to simulate.

Necessary in what sense, correct simulation or layout? Please show your layout.

The "normal and correct" use of this includes a length of line at port 3 of the MTEE, not just the MTEE. And w3 is then the width of that line. And that is where the resistor connects.

You abuse the elements in an unusual way, and leave out many elements that are usually included in such a Wilkinson schematic - for more accurate simulation and meaningful layout.

That's what I mean with abuse: the MTEE width at port 3 is the width of the element connected there. You now connect "something somewhere", and don't care about the values. I don't understand this careless and ignorant use of ADS schematic models - why not do it properly? Models are only accurate when using them as designed, within the documented limits. For "free layout" you better use EM to simulate.

In the term of fabrication and component soldering. In other words, the component can be soldering or no? If its width larger than the w3

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.