A Biasing problem in LNA circuit

Hi all circuit designers,
    I have 2 questions reagarding biasing a LNA, as shown in the capture below:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01_LNA.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	157930
    1/ For what i ve known so far, the R0 resistor is employed as a large enough value to restrict the noise current contribution from current mirror into core LNA devices. However, if I have a stable power supply that can be tuned
    for biasing G gate. Can I remove the presence of R0 in my design and connect immediately PAD Vibias to the available supply?
    2/ I dont know the functionalities of R3, R5 as well as the MOSFET capacitors connected in series with these ones. Do you know what it purposes to ?

Highly appreciate discussions from all /
    Thanks,

•   AltAdvertisement

Full Member level 4

Helped
    94 / 94
    Level

Re: A Biasing problem in LNA circuit

Quote Originally Posted by Anomis View Post

1/ For what i ve known so far, the R0 resistor is employed as a large enough value to restrict the noise current contribution from current mirror into core LNA devices. However, if I have a stable power supply that can be tuned
    for biasing G gate. Can I remove the presence of R0 in my design and connect immediately PAD Vibias to the available supply?
    2/ I dont know the functionalities of R3, R5 as well as the MOSFET capacitors connected in series with these ones. Do you know what it purposes to ?

Thanks,
    Aren't all the terminals of the MOSFET shorted togetehr?

•   AltAdvertisement

Full Member level 6
    Helped
    54 / 54
    Level

Thanks,

1) There is a trade-off at that point. If you increase Rbias you will reduce you stability, increase your gain and decrease your NF.

2) Mosfets are capacitors there (MOSCAPS). I am not why they are used there (maybe for including package parasitic).

But definitely not part of the design !

1 members found this post helpful.

•   AltAdvertisement

Junior Member level 2
    Helped
    5 / 5
    Level

Yeah, all terminals are shorted together for Mosfet capacitors, that is weird to what i have seen so far. Can i remove the R0 here ?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ata_sa16 View Post
    1) There is a trade-off at that point. If you increase Rbias you will reduce you stability, increase your gain and decrease your NF.

2) Mosfets are capacitors there (MOSCAPS). I am not why they are used there (maybe for including package parasitic).

But definitely not part of the design !
    For 1) because I connect the power supply directly to this PAD to bias for LNA, so can i remove this resistor ? because in term of noise, NF will be improved.
    2) To modeling the parasitic of PAD, it is already included in PDK by a specific component of around 50 fF

Newbie level 5

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

R3 and R5 for tune gain and NF.

•   AltAdvertisement

Full Member level 6
    Helped
    54 / 54
    Level

Yeah, all terminals are shorted together for Mosfet capacitors, that is weird to what i have seen so far. Can i remove the R0 here ?

- - - Updated - - -

For 1) because I connect the power supply directly to this PAD to bias for LNA, so can i remove this resistor ? because in term of noise, NF will be improved.
    2) To modeling the parasitic of PAD, it is already included in PDK by a specific component of around 50 fF
    NO. you cannot connect bias directly to gate of transistor. It will short AC. Are you aware of that ?
    you need a resistor to separate DC and AC. and decoupling capacitor series with source and input to separate DC.

1 members found this post helpful.

--[[ ]]--