Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inductance of coile dup cbale on winch (twisted pair or just two strand)

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

Inductance of 100m of coiled up cable on winch (twisted pair or just two strand)

Hi,
The cable seen at 4:50 of this..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzTMaXfLFb4

..is 100m long. Since it comprises "go" and "return", the inductance of the coiled up cable on the winch will be very low.
Do you know a formula to calculate this?
1...for twisted pair cable
2...for side-by-side cable

..or just a rough estimate of the coiled up cable inductance as shown here (100m).

I'd guess 200uH for the inductance...since mains cable (side-by-side) is approx 1uH per metre when un-coiled...so estimate 2uH per metre for coiled up.
I'd estimate 70uH if it was twisted pair.

What are your thoughts?

Inductance of a balanced line depends on conductor geometry. Twist has no considerable effect, except for slightly increasing the effective length.

TP_Impedance.png

Conductive material in the vicinity (e.g. a cable shield or other wires) tends to reduce inductance. Mutual inductance in a coil can increase TP inductance, but due to arbitrary coupling factor sign, I would expect only a low average increase. Factor 2 sounds unrealistic.

agreed - twisted pair and side by side is essentially the same thing, for send & return coiling has no effect ...

- - - Updated - - -

as to the drones - eventually the weight of the wire will be a severe limiting factor for height - and distance from spool ...

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back