Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

soldering with silver content

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikePT543

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey guys.When is a solder with silver content used?

Most electrical solder contains some silver but higher concentrations are used when soldering some surface mount components with silver doped end connections. It helps to limit the migration of metal from the component itself into the joint if the alloy is partially saturated.

There are also special RF applications where skin resistance has to be minimized.

Brian.

I have silver solder in wire form. It's stronger than normal tin/lead solder.
Silver type is useful to fix metal parts where the fix should be done quickly and occupy a small area. The aim is to avoid generating excess heat which discolors adjacent metal. Example, eyeglass frames, jewelry.

I keep a separate soldering iron which I use only for the silver type.

I use "silver content wire" or solder when I am making high quality metrology / calibration gear for my Blog.
A good example this is making bridges for a seven stages resistor decade box.
https://www.ittsb.eu/High-Precision-Decade-resistors-Box.html

The dark side of silver this is corrosion at humid environment.
But in my applications they are living in clean workshop environment, with just a bit of regular dust in it.

Silver solder is used to connect stainless steel to itself or to other steels when low temperatures are required.
High quality, usually custom-built, bicycle frames are often silver-brazed since the very thin-walled tubes might be heat-treated, and heat must be kept at a minimum to avoid annealing the material.

Status
Not open for further replies.