Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Generate a .bin file from .elf file ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hcu

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In this case ".elf" is generated for a arc processor from a synopsys metaware IDE SDK tool.

I want to convert to .bin or particularly .hex file so that i can use it for a verilog memory initialization file ($readmemh) and do some simulations.

Thanks

Executable binary is part of the *.elf content. It can be extracted with tools for the respective processor. More easily, you can instruct the IDE to generate a *.hex or *.bin file directly during compilation.

with my novice knowlege . i explored all the options available in the sdk gui but unable to figure out how to instruct the IDE. i searched help-> help contents. but no help on this topic(or they may be using other sw terminology which i dont understand).

on googling, I found objcopy command. but endup with this in cygwin terminal

$ objcopy hello_world.elf -O binary
objcopy: Unable to recognise the format of the input file `hello_world.elf'

Status
Not open for further replies.