Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to glue a heat sink on a IC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winsu

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

I have to glue a heat sink on a chip which is getting super hot. The dimension are width 6.3mm and length. Anyone could recommend something to glue it?. I have though in thermal tape but it wont secure the heat sink enough...

Thanks,
Winsu

Last edited by a moderator:

You can use epoxy glue. I presume, it's a plastic package without dedicated thermal interface. Don't expect strong cooling effect by the heat sink. Most heat will be dissipated through pins and PCB anyway.

Yes, it is unfortunately the case. What other solutions could be done. Moving tracks and filled the area with copper?. Plated vias underneath of the chip?.

"Arctic Silver" epoxy is (or was) popular for PC CPU /
GPU heat sink attach.

What kind of package and how the heat flows, may
be a concern. Putting the heat sink on a plastic package
that has no thermal features (slug etc.) may still leave
you an inferior thermal path. Look at heat spreaders
as a means to "involve" more of the package surface
if the sink is smaller than package outline (facing area
from paddle and leadframe to sink, over plastic thickness,
is the deal).

the package is a DFN-8 and the heat sink covers the whole thing ( it even standouts a bit) I have used araldite to glue the chip...Tomorrow I will run a test to see if it has improved...

Any ideas on the layout?, what I could change in the layout to make it better?.

Status
Not open for further replies.