Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

radar for object detection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin0107

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I want to make a radar that can detect people/objects from the back of the car when it is reversing.
I have demo position2go kit, but I can't seem to configure it to detect reliably.
Sometimes it detects when nothing is there and sometimes it doesn't detect objects(people), and usually it detects "ghosts" (short blimps).
I have been using Infineon's radar GUI for that tests and it seems easy to setup but it just doen't work.

Does anyone have any experience with radars for object detection?
Is it just me or position2go demo doesn't work as they claim?

Please help me, I can compensate you for your help, I just need that to work.

Thanks for any reply in advance.

Hi,

In a forum ... you should show what you have done...
and how you tested it, what you expected and what you see instead

Klaus

Automotive radars use very complex algorithms to process the signals coming from various targets. Usually the radar chip manufacturers (Infineon, NXP, TI) provide some very basic algorithms just to show how their chipsets works. To decide what kind of targets are around the car, the system needs very fast and complex processing data algorithms. Information as target position, target cross-section (dimensions), target velocity, needs all together to build a live image of the nearby targets.
Generally this complex processing data is done by the customer of the radar chipsets. For example, to make the radar decide that on the back of your car is a walking person or is a falling garbage bin (due to a heavy wind) probably you need smarter math algorithms than the ones which sent astronauts to the Moon 50 years ago.

To start, I think you should first look at what the people in those industries are working on.

I can advise you to read the Dissertation of Dr. Markus Gardill, Characterization and Design of Small Array Antennas for Direction-Of-Arrival Estimation for Ultra-Wideband Industrial FMCW Radar Systems

Try to draw 2d spectrogram and see if it looks well. Then you can apply algorithms very similar to image processing: de-blurring, curve tracing, etc. If vehicle speed is known from radar data or other sensors, old FFT frames may be re-used, as we may calculate displacement of targets using formula S=V*T, where V - vehicle speed, T - time between FFT frames. Data from single chirp/frame is usually not enough for all situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back