Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Coupler or Combiner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mehdu

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi
could i use directional coupler instead of combiner?
i need to combine two signal but hasn't any combiner.
if i use coupler, what happen for signal? is that degrade?
freq=uhf.

tnx

hi
could i use directional coupler instead of combiner?
i need to combine two signal but hasn't any combiner.
if i use coupler, what happen for signal? is that degrade?
freq=uhf.

tnx

you are possible using a quadrature hybrid coupler (a type of directional coupler) as a combiner at the cost of 3 dB attenuation at branches 2 and 3/ output at 1 port and isolation matched load at port 4 ( please refer to Pozar book: microwave engineering for more detail).

Reactions: mehdu

mehdu

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
In principle you can use a "standard" directional coupler, if you just want to mix two different signals, but depends from your application (f.i have you got some specific phase impairement requirement ?) and the maximum attenuation you can afford.
Take into account that the signal on the direct line will be attenuate by just some tenth of dB while that sent to the coupled line will be attenuated by the coupling factor. To equalize the attenuation you have to insert a fixed attenuator from the generator toward the direct line.

mehdu

In principle you can use a "standard" directional coupler, if you just want to mix two different signals, but depends from your application (f.i have you got some specific phase impairement requirement ?) and the maximum attenuation you can afford.
Take into account that the signal on the direct line will be attenuate by just some tenth of dB while that sent to the coupled line will be attenuated by the coupling factor. To equalize the attenuation you have to insert a fixed attenuator from the generator toward the direct line.

i want combine two signal from signal generator.so i can adjust the level attenuated by coupling factor.
indeed, my question about degrade that signals.is that degrade?

The directional coupler is a linear passive device, then the signals will not get distorted.

mehdu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back