Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LCD Menu Architecture Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectricalEngineer

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am in need of an extensive menu system for an LCD, actuated with an encoder.

The architecture I have created is an encoder-controlled system. Push-button enters the next menu item. Moving the encoder engages the next-previous operation. This structure is based on a doubly-linked list. Everything is programmed in C++.

The main program architecture is made of many different classes (control system). All of these class objects use getters and setters to retrieve and set data.

Provided this how do I access these data items with this LCD?

Specifically, I can't use functions to simply get/set data from within the struct object because they come from different classes. My thought was to use pointers to data within elements, passed to an outside function. This sounds incredibly complicated however.

Can anyone provide insight on how to access getters and setters from multiple classes in an LCD menu structure? I've been struggling to find any useful information. std::function has been a consideration, however, it can't provide me with returns is my understanding and I'm not sure how to accomplish this.

Thanks kindly.

Flowcharts is what you need on this stage, make a sketch of at least a single function of the whole, and you will see how objects will interact each other. For now, the only thing that come to mind is to use state machines in descendent layers to give a structured behaviour whilst you navigate wihin submenus.

Status
Not open for further replies.