Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RHP poles always appear in my designed amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

kokokosini123

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am trying to use feedfoward compensation in multi-stage OTA for driving large capacitive load. However, it always oscillate, and PZ analysis in cadence spectre always shows RHP pole in my amplifier..

The circuit I have tried are all from journals. Here is one example https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?tp=&arnumber=7389422

According to the journal's simulation it should not have any RHP pole.
Does anyone have the same experience?

Here is my amplifier
amplifier.jpg

Here is my bode plot of amplifier
bode.jpg

Here is its poles and zeros
PZ.PNG

Last edited:

I have tried some small gain multistage and they are working on simulations.

RHP is a sign that somewhere you have positive feedback. It might be result of odd number of stage and tricky connection somewhere.
Your PZ result showing low freq pole given by high gain Miller, 7th order pole at tens of MHz and RHP. Such opamp (other designs done such times, too) is working with high load (nF order) to ensure stability, this higher order poles caused by diode connected guys in small gain enhancers should be (N+3) times higher than UGF.

My proposal for debugging. Start with ordinary Miller, than add stage by stage and check in which configuration RHP appears.

A RHP pole in the open loop transfer function can be only generated if the feedforward turns into positive feedback, likely to happen for the post #1 circuit.

How do you measure the transfer function? It might be that a certain amount of load capacitance is required for stability, just fair for an OTA output stage. Check the literature in this regard.

Very thanks for your reply and simulation, I have checked the connection and they seems correct. I think maybe as FvM said bellow there is something wrong with my feedforward path and turns in to positive feedback.

I am wondering any structure can drive capacitive load from 1p to tens of nF with high slew rate?

- - - Updated - - -

A RHP pole in the open loop transfer function can be only generated if the feedforward turns into positive feedback, likely to happen for the post #1 circuit.

How do you measure the transfer function? It might be that a certain amount of load capacitance is required for stability, just fair for an OTA output stage. Check the literature in this regard.

Here is the test bench I use, I found it from Allen P.E., Holberg D.R.'s book
**broken link removed**

I have tried to change the load capacitance from 1p to 50n, and it always oscillate. I am not Familiar with feedforward, I just use the structure from journals, and they did not mention anything about RHP poles.

I also found the RHP poles are highly related to the first differential stage (adjust its ro and gm would have big affect on the number of RHP poles)
Should this kind of amplifier so hard to adjust? is there any book mentioned about the basic knowledge of it, and how to eliminate the RHP poles?

Status
Not open for further replies.