Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Laptop RAM upgrade (new RAM doesn't work in RVS slot, but works in STD slot)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fparveen

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I have a HP laptop (model: 15-ay013dx) with 6GB RAM installed in it. I wanted to upgrade it to 16GB. So, I bought two 8GB DDR4 RAMs. However, after I replaced both of the pre-installed RAMs on my laptop, it isn't starting up (CAPS lock blinks). But when I replaced one previous RAM with one of the new RAMs and kept another old RAM then it works.

I noticed the RAM slots in my laptop have written over it STD in one slot and RVS in another slot. When I put one new RAM in the STD slot and an old RAM in the RVS slot only then it works.
the
But when I put two new RAMS in both slots then it doesn't work. Also when I put the old RAM in STD and new RAM in RVS slot, then it doesn't work either.

Can anyone suggest me what to do in this regard? Or what might be the issue that it causing it.

Thanks in advance,

There are limits of maximum RAM which can be recognized, depending on your hardware and your version of Windows. Sometimes you can change it in the BIOS options, or by running MSCONFIG.

Hello,

I checked the maximum RAM allowance in my Laptop, which is 16GB. Would you please tell me how can I change the BIOS option for getting both of the new RAMs work?

Thanks.

Quickly after you turn on the computer you should see a notice to press F2 (or F10 or 'delete' or some other key or combination of keys) to enter the BIOS listing. If you press the correct key soon enough, then you should see a list of specs which are relevant to your computer. Among them should be RAM: quantity of chips, capacity, type, etc. Examine these to discover any hint why your RAM chips are recognized in some combinations but not in others.

A built-in routine for testing installed RAM may be opened (usually) by pressing F5. Running these tests might tell you whether your RAM is faulty. (Hint: install one RAM chip at a time, and see if it passes the tests.) Testing RAM can take several minutes depending on the variety of methods it uses.

F8 is normally the key that brings up options for starting Windows. It might pay for you to try Safe mode in some cases.

std_match, When I did a quick search yesterday I noticed that there was conflicting information on the RAM required (DDR3L or DDR4) for a 15-ay013dx, so they probably didn't check their HP documentation for the specs of the machine. If you do a search on Crucial they have both DDR3L and DDR4 specified for an HP 15-ay013dx model. 8-O

It is crazy if such a complicated model number isn't enough to tell if it must be upgraded with DDR3L or DDR4 RAM.

Yes when I opened the laptop, the RAM slots had DDR4 written on them. And also my new DDR4 RAMs are working on the slot marked as std. So this model supports DDR4.

Then maybe you have RAMs with the wrong CL. If you have the wrong CL they may not work correctly.

I see. CL refers to Latency, right? So, does that mean the STD slot and the RVS slot have different CL? Then how is the old RAM working in both slots, while the new RAM is working only at STD slot?

I can't explain why the new modules don't work in the RVS slot, but I can explain the STD and RVS markings.

STD = standard, RVS = reverse.
It isn't a position marking in the laptop. It is a marking on the sockets themselves, and indicates which side of the RAM will be "up" when it is mounted correctly.

By facing the connectors of two RAM module toward each other and having one of the modules "upside down", the PCB layout is simplified a lot.
The STD and RVS markings just mean that the RAM modules will not have the same side facing "up".
It is possible to design the laptop with two STD sockets or two RVS sockets.

There should be some marking on the PCB that tells which socket is considered to be the "first".

Ok, I have faced the same problem and it will be alright. I use HP probook 440 and when I tried to increase my ram from 4 gb to 8 gb I have faced similar issue. What I did was that I exchanged the position of both ram and suddenly the laptop started. So you pull out your rams and exchange their positions and give it a try.

There should be some marking on the PCB that tells which socket is considered to be the "first".

Thanks. Does that mean I need to put into one specific slot first and into the other slot after that?

Normally one of the slots is meant for when you only have a single SODIMM installed you put any memory in that first slot, the second slot may or may not be capable of becoming a second channel (improving memory performance).

Also looking back in the thread, it doesn't look like you ever tried only one of the new 8GB RAMs in only one slot (leave the other empty), I'm wondering if it worked because you had one of the old (2GB or 4GB) RAMs in the system. Did you notice if the RAM available was not 10GB or 12 GB in the old new configuration?

As a test
1. use the old 4GB ram and put it in one slot STD (or RVS) leaving the other slot empty and see if the computer will boot up.
2. move the 4GB ram to the other slot and see if the laptop will boot leaving the first slot you tried empty.
1&2 will tell you if the system has to have a single stick of RAM in a particular slot to work, if the system boot with either slot filled then it doesn't have any preference for the first populated slot.

3. which ever slot booted (if only one slot worked) or either if both slots booted, put the new 8GB ram in only one slot leaving the other slot empty.
If the system doesn't boot with only one RAM installed (either slot) then the RAM is probably incompatible with your system.
If one slot works and the other doesn't then the memory timings may have been changed for one slot and would have to be changed to make both slots work (this is risky if you don't know what you are doing as it could render your system a brick)

It seems like a really odd configuration with 6 GB of memory, was the extra 2 GB installed after you bought it or did the laptop come preinstalled that way?

You have to buy ram according to your hardware need. You just cannot buy a computer part and expect it to get installed easily. This is the saddest part about new technology as the technology is changing vey fast the old parts are getting discontinues even before they are corrupted or damaged. I have old rams they still work but do not get attached to my new other board. I have hdd which I have to use a converter to take files. I have bought these stuff with money and I know how to take good care of my products but alas new tech is getting on my way to use them as I need. This is really unfair.

Status
Not open for further replies.