Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RF Switch with diode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dummyeng

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello
I design a switch with pin diode but I couldn’t recognize about impedance matching stay correct or not.
Here is my design
diode_sw.jpg
excuse me for bad shape
When large signal come (60 dbm 18 GHz) it(diode) should be off but in small signal ( -20 dbm ) should be on and nothing receive to antenna neither return loss to rfin and all should go to gnd.
When it is off I think that it is like an stub and change my impedance is it correct?
And when it is on should I connect directly to gnd?
is it correct I place R1 before diode because I saw only place after diode in rf applications?
And I don’t consider about duty cycle in my design.
I gave my reverse voltage according to AN3022 mycom It says “For p-i-n diodes with I-region thickness less
than approximately 1 mil (25 μM), an external dc reverse bias equal to the peak RF voltage is required, regardless
of duty cycle. This reverse bias requirement is relaxed, however, for thicker p-i-n diodes and low RF duty cycles
(D) so that 10 mil (250 μM) diode requires at most 35 V reverse bias to keep within the conditionally safe reverse
bias region under any duty cycle.”

no i want only use reverse vo;tage from paper

my design is in 10GHz and 400W

I believe you want a high-Q shunt C at the PIN diode
cathode, to signal ground. Otherwise the circuit as
drawn will "kill" the PIN diode C(fwdBias) inductively.

For the kind of wattage you are talking, you need to
figure out the AC current and the "on" diode power
dissipation vs those datasheet ratings. If you figure
that 1W Pdiss is a threshold-of-concern then 400WRMS
to 50 ohms, 8A RMS (give or take), would say you
need a PIN diode Rs of 15mOhm.

To my knowledge, Solid State PIN Diodes are not robust to carry those Power Levels..

As i said when high power comes, it is off and all of it (power) go t o antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back