Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Programming ESP-32 ESP-12

Status
Not open for further replies.

sairfan1

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can we program ESP-32/ESP-12 other than Arduino compiler? like XC or some other C Programmer?

like XC or some other C Programmer
There is the ESP-IDF toolset available that compiles in C++, however since its is not very friendly to deal even with simple applications, it is recommended only for those who are familiar with low level of programming to interface with its hardware modules. Only in the specific case of Espressif ESP32/8266 microcontrollers, unless your application requires otherwise, I particularly recommend considering Arduino, which has currently mature libraries and even uses the above toolchain compiling in the background. As Arduino is an object-oriented language nativelly made over an RTOS, it is even possible to use resources that obviously would not be possible to implement in a bare metal C as you supposedly want.

What is the problem you are having with the Arduino environment?
Have you looked at PlatformIO? however without knowing the underlying issue, it is hard to say if this will be any better.
Susan

Arduino does not look efficient there is lots of overhead and code debugging is really hard, I tried PlatformIO looks like need to invest lots of time to understand project setup/configurations

Somewhere along the line you need to put in some effort.
Arduino code can be very efficient but I do agree about the debugging. There are lots of libraries around that can get you going quite quickly.
I use PlatformIO relatively easily and I admit I don't fully understand all of the internal systems but that does not stop me using it. (It has stopped me trying to port a new version of the Espressif ESP-IDF to the environment but that is a different level of complexity.)
Susan

Status
Not open for further replies.