Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to generate 4MHz clock from 2 MHz clock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ankit rajput

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I need to generate 4 Mhz clock from 2 MHz clock . I checked clocking wizard/MMCM/PLL , but there input clock range start from 10 MHz.

I had read about using rising and falling edge detectors but they fail to give 50% duty cycle.

can DDS(direct digital synthesizer ) convert 2MHz clock frequency into 4MHz frequency??

what are the other methods to do that??

Regards
Ankit

If you have a higher frequency clock available, a digital PLL can generate the 4 MHz clock, however limited to the time resolution of the system clock. Ultimately, you can phase lock an auxiliary high frequency clock to the 2 MHz input, using MMCM dynamic phase shift feature and some user logic.

Hi,

Which FPGA are you talking about?

Klaus

Hi,

Which FPGA are you talking about?

Klaus

Must be a Xilinx part (MMCM/PLL), but can't tell which one as more than one of the families has that primitive. Though it can be narrowed down with the OP's statement that the wizard says the FPGA can only support a lower frequency of 10 MHz for the PLL input clock.

10 MHz minimal clock input frequency is common series 7 MMCM spec as far as I'm aware of.

The OP has posted the same Q in Xilinx forums yesterday and did not provide sufficient details in order to answer his Q.
My answer to him would be the same here as there.

The PLL/MMCM inside the Arty board is capable of min 10Mz o/p or more. ads-ee/FvM have also pointed that out.
This was the reason why it was asked to him the source of this 2MHz clk and to it there has been no info from the OP.

Dear OP, no matter in forum you go, if you are not providing sufficient details, you won't get proper answers.

Last edited:
Reactions: FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Possible solutions have been sketched, but the application requirements are yet unknown.

The PLL/MMCM inside the Arty board is capable of min 10Mz o/p or more. ads-ee/FvM have also pointed that out.
This was the reason why it was asked to him the source of this 2MHz clk and to it there has been no info from the OP.

The 2 Mhz clock is generated from the input data using the clock recovery algorithm. I require one 4 MHZ clock that must be synchronize to this 2 MHz clock. If i use arty board clock to generate 4 MHz than both clock would not be synchronize. and i don't know how to synchronize/align two clocks generated from different sources.

So I thought it would be better if I can generate 4 MHz clock from my original 2 MHZ clock .

- - - Updated - - -

If you have a higher frequency clock available, a digital PLL can generate the 4 MHz clock, however limited to the time resolution of the system clock. Ultimately, you can phase lock an auxiliary high frequency clock to the 2 MHz input, using MMCM dynamic phase shift feature and some user logic.

So if i understand correctly, you want to say that i have 2 MHz clock , I should generate 4 MHz clock from clocking wizard/PLL/MMCM and than synchronize them using MMCM dynamic phase shift feature.

I require one 4 MHZ clock that must be synchronize to this 2 MHz clock.

This simple frequency doubler turns up via internet search. XOR (exclusive-OR) gate turns on at upward and downward transitions. RC values are not critical.

clk freq doubler via XOR gate RC network (2 MHz in 4 MHz out).png

So if i understand correctly, you want to say that i have 2 MHz clock , I should generate 4 MHz clock from clocking wizard/PLL/MMCM and than synchronize them using MMCM dynamic phase shift feature.
A bit more complex. You'll design a kind of software PLL with 2 and 4 MHz output, locked to the 2 MHz reference. Dynamic phase shift might be used if the phase jitter requirements are very strict. More likely you'll just oversample the 2 MHz input with a sufficient fast system clock.

We didn't yet hear about your requirements and available clocks.

The 2 Mhz clock is generated from the input data using the clock recovery algorithm.
Do you mind to sketch what the input data is and how the 2 MHz clock is "recovered"?

The xapp868 design is a digital PLL that can easily generate 4 MHz along with the 2 MHz output.

The xapp868 design is a digital PLL that can easily generate 4 MHz along with the 2 MHz output.

oh.. I didn't knew that. Let me check how to generate 4 MHz along with 2 MHz clock.

See how 2 MHz clock is derived from DDS MSB phase[31]. You can generate 4 MHz in a similar way by utilizing phase[30] too.

See how 2 MHz clock is derived from DDS MSB phase[31]. You can generate 4 MHz in a similar way by utilizing phase[30] too.

I tried to do that. The VCO file(voltage controlled oscillator) is in .ngc format. So , I cannot open it. But even i tried to take phase [14] (because in verilog example phase width is 16 instead of 32) . But phase [14] or phase [15] is not at all related to 2 MHz or 4 MHz clock output. what is the correct way to take 4 MHz output?

I was referring to xapp868 where a 32 bit DDS is running at 2.048 MHz. Not sure how your design is different. What's the DDS phase accumulator frequency in your design?

I was referring to xapp868 where a 32 bit DDS is running at 2.048 MHz. Not sure how your design is different. What's the DDS phase accumulator frequency in your design?

i am using the same xapp868 design for clock recovery. I was saying that in the verilog code of this xapp868, phase width of 16 has been taken instead of 32.

I was taking this as granted. But what's the DDS frequency if it's not 2 MHz? Does your design involve an additional frequency divider between the DDS and the phase-frequency detector?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back