Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Dipole vs Patch Antenna for indoor wifi

Status
Not open for further replies.

sassyboy

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello. I am working on a project to improve wifi strength of an android tv box in a classroom. It comes with a 50 ohm dipole antenna. In the classroom, the router or repeater is situated in the rear of the classroom. I proposed replacing the antenna with a transmission line fed patch antenna. Simulation indicates 7.14dBi directional gain compare to under 3dBi in the dipole. I was quite positive with my proposal.

I installed the "Wifi Analyzer" app to measure the signal strength of both dipole and the patch. I designed the patch using FR4 substrate and measured the return loss on VNA. When I plugged the dipole antenna, the app measured signal strength of -50dB, while the patch antenna measured lower at -58dB. I was disappointed that it didn't work to my expectation.

I have come to a conclusion that the wall in the classroom scatter the EM waves which meant that the omnidirectional antenna has an advantage over the more directional patch antenna. Would you agree?

I am planning to try a PIFA antenna or a circularly polarised patch antenna to see if this improves the signal strength. Does anyone have a suggestion?

That one may not be a dipole antenna and may be a collinear antenna, which gives more dB's of gain than a simple patch antenna.
Are very few chances that the radio waves from the omni-directional antenna to arrive at the destination (after many reflections) with the right phase and adding constructively.

There are few options of building simple high gain antennas for WiFi:

Coffee Can Antenna:
**broken link removed**

Helical antenna:
**broken link removed**

Yagi antenna:
https://www.instructables.com/id/Easy-to-Build-WIFI-24GHz-Yagi-Antenna/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor