Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Battery to allow Windows to shutdown only

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmich411

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can you recommend a very small 12V rechargeable smart battery capable of keeping a Windows 10 Pentium computer running long enough to properly shutdown Windows once power is removed? My processor module will provide all of the other necessary voltages.

Hi,

Either you want us to guess, or you need to give useful informations.

In electronics we calculate with voltage, power, current, energy, time...
And besides this we need to know what additionally should be powered: monitor, keyboard, mouse, hdd, sdd, ... and for sure their power requirements.

Klaus

All good questions. Thank you. I’m powering a COM Express Type 6 module connected to an external unreliable 12VDC source that could potentially abruptly be removed. I want Windows to have enough juice to shutdown properly. There is an SSD drive. The touch screen, camera, speakers, mic, etc does not need to work during this ‘safe shutdown’

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/COM_Express

I’ll get started working on adding up the specific offer requirements. I’d prefer to have an excess charge. Size is the issue.

Please let me know if you have questions. Thanks for your time. .

No sure how to update my question...
UPDATE: Can you recommend a small 12V rechargeable smart battery to allow Windows to shutdown on a Pentium COM Express Type 6 module connected to an unreliable 12VDC source? On-board regulators generate all other voltages.

Hi,

We still don't have any values we can calculate with.

If you can't read a datasheet, then you should be able to use a scope or a DVM to measure the current and a stopwatch.
Without values it's impossible to go on.

Klaus

Hi Klaus,
This board is in development and cannot be yet be measured. Its clear I do not have enough info at this time to go on. Thanks for your time.

Best regards,
Keith

Hi,

If the problem relates to a laptop with no battery and only the AC/DC charger that comes with the computer, and minor movements can accidentally disconnect a loose connector, maybe it would be easier just to buy a cheap clone replacement laptop battery for that model, or replace the worn connector. The PC label/battery label or technical specifications (which should be available through the manufacturer's (Microsoft) and/or serious vendor's websites product pages about the model) might give a clue as to the power required for the 12V smart battery, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.