Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to boost microvolts to higher voltages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dl09

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
if i want to build a circuit that will boost 10 microvolts into say 10 millivolts, should
i use an inverting amplifier or noninverting amplifier?

That depends entirely on whether you want an exact but bigger voltage or one inverted in polarity. The amplification is the same regardless.

Brian.

Hi,

You would need to provide more information and if possible any schematic related to yor actual circuit/design.

Asking inverting or non-inverting sounds like a 'trick' question where the obvious non-inverting OA will turn out to be a useless answer because all important facts/data were not provided....

To boost a signal with those ultra-low input levels, a high common-mode rejection will be required most certainly.

That suggests a full-differential amplifier.

are you talking amplifying a signal using a separate power source - or - do you only have uV and want to convert it to mV ... ?

Hi,

It depends on:
Source impedance, currents, frequency response, noise, expected accuracy, supply voltage(es)...

Guessing:
If it's for amplifying a measurement signal, then I call for a chopper stabilized Opamp.

Klaus

i am using a NJM4558 dual operational amplifier, it is in an inverting configuration. it is receiving power from a 1.5 volt battery. i have also tried using a 4 volt 18650 lithium ion battery. if i connect the inverting amplifier to the 1.5 volt battery and there is no signal, the output is 0.856 volt. if i connect the inverting amplifier to the 4 volt 18650 lithium ion battery and there is no signal, the output is 3.26 volts. however if i connect the inverting amplifier to a voltage divider, which is suppose to be providing the signal, the output does not increase or decrease. the signal is 400 microvolts. if i use a much larger voltage, the output increases by 1 volt. i don't remember the value. i am trying to build a circuit that will increase 10 microvolts to 10 millivolts. i tried adjusting the ratio of feedback resistor to input resistor.

Drawing(1).jpeg

this is a schematic of the circuit i am using.

Hi,

You need to read and understand datasheets.
The NJM Opamp is completely unsuitable for this application in several ways.
* it needs at least +/-4V = 8V to operate properly
* it's offset voltage is higher than your expected input signal.(it's like you want to exactly measure temperature of 0...4° with a thermometer with an uncertainty of 5°)

And you need to learn about the input voltage range of an Opamp circuit.
Your schematic isn't clear where your input signal is referenced to.

Klaus

Some key specs missing: Signal bandwidth, source impedance, acceptable noise level (specified as voltage density or wideband noise level, e.g. 0.1 to 10 Hz µVpp), acceptable offset voltage (if DC capable amplifier is intended) and drift.

For sub µV offset, a "zero drift" (chopper stabilized) amplifier is probably required. TI has several zero drift OPs with < 2V supply voltage.

Hi,

You need to read and understand datasheets.
The NJM Opamp is completely unsuitable for this application in several ways.
* it needs at least +/-4V = 8V to operate properly
* it's offset voltage is higher than your expected input signal.(it's like you want to exactly measure temperature of 0...4° with a thermometer with an uncertainty of 5°)

And you need to learn about the input voltage range of an Opamp circuit.
Your schematic isn't clear where your input signal is referenced to.

Klaus

so what operational amplifier should i use for this application? is the lm224 operational amplifier suitable for this application?

The LM224 can run off 4V but the highest voltage it can output is Vs-1.5.

The information you need is in data sheets, you should be particularly interested in:
Being able to work from a low supply voltage,
Large enough output voltage swing,
Low noise (or your microvolt signal will be lost in it)
Low drift.

Most manufacturers web pages have parametric search systems, if you put your requirements in it lists suggested devices that fit your needs.

Brian.

i tried building an inverting amplifier. i connected the inverting amplifier to 7.99 volt battery. the signal it receives is 1.45 volts.
the input resistor has a resistance of 1000 ohms. i tried changing the resistance of the feedback resistor to 1000 ohms, 2000 ohms, 3000 ohms, 22000 ohms, i kept getting the same output 1.45 volts.
why am i not getting different output each time i change the resistance of the feedback resistor?
30d92f5f-ff5b-4978-b1ab-ae024717afdf.jpeg

as i read your sketch, the power supply to the op amp is one battery.
the batteries are in anti-series, with the top battery connected to the two power inputs to the op amp

the batteries should be in series with the top of the "upper" battery going to the upper power input of the op amp
and the bottom of the "bottom" battery connected to the bottom power input to the op amp

the voltmeter is connected to the output
what is the voltage at the input and at the output?

when you say there is no signal, is the input open, or tied to ground?
if its open, there's no telling where the input will float to.

The input is 1.45 volt. Output is always 1.45 volts. I tried changing the resistance of the feedback resistor, but I won't get different outputs. The 1.45 volt battery is suppose to provide the input. Why don't I get different outputs when I change the resistance of feedback resistor?

Hi,

The power supply battery has no other connection than the Opamp's supply.
Thus all the other circuitry is floating w.r.t the supply. This can't work.
--> You need some connection between power supply and input signals.

What Opamp did you use?

Klaus

I used a njm4558 OP amp.

i see you put up a new sketch.
please re-post with resistor values written next to the resistors and
please put the pin numbers of the op-amp on the sketch.

i tried a different circuit.
c1eec1f0-c817-424e-8432-eeea3b8f50d6.jpeg

this is a schematic of the new circuit. will this one work.the 1.45 volt battery's negative terminal which is suppose to provide the input, the 7.79 volt battery, which is the power supply battery, and operational amplifier's noninverting terminal are connected to the breadboard's negative rail. i tried using resistors with different values

feedback resistor input resistor output
459 ohm 44000 ohm 7.07 volt
459 ohm 22000 ohm 7.03 volt
1000 ohm 22000 ohm 7.03 volt
1000 ohm 1000 ohm 6.54 volt
2000 ohm 1000 ohm 6.54 volt
3000 ohm 1000 ohm 6.58 volt
22000 ohm 1000 ohm 7.03 volt
44000 ohm 459 ohm 7.07 volt

these are the values i got. is this noninverting amplifier working?

Hi,

these are the values i got. is this noninverting amplifier working?
But the Opamp in most of your cases is overdriven.

There are many Opamp circuit tutorials, even videos in the internet.
Use them, they are for free. You urgently need to learn basics on your own. A forum can't replace school.

Also there are free simulator tools.
Then you can play around, measure every voltage and current without time consuming soldering.

Let's just calculate through one example. Let's take the 1000 ohms, 1000 ohms resistors.
* supply voltage is 7.79V (this violates your Opamp's specifications, because it should be at least 8V. --> see "Operating Voltage" )
* voltage at +IN node is 0V (this means that this input is connected to a supply rail. This violates your Opamp's specification, because your's is no Rail-to-rail input type.--> see "Input Common Mode Voltage Range")
But let's assume from here on you use a suitable Opamp:
* Rf = 1000 Ohms
* Rin = 1000 Ohms
* V_inp = input voltage is = (V_ Rin - V_+In) = 1.45V - 0V = 1.45V

--> A = gain = - Rf / Rin = - 1000 Ohms / 1000 Ohms = -1

The expectable V_out = V_+In + gain × V_inp = 0V + (-1) × 1.45V = -1.45V.
( This violates your Opamp's specification. --> see "Maximum Output Voltage Swing")
-1.45V is beyound your supply rails. No opamp can output voltage beyond it's supply rails.
--> thus it is expected to saturate close to negative rail.

You may simplify your life with using eXcel for such calculations.

Klaus

Reactions: d123

d123

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.