Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Intrerleave wind transformer on Phase Shift Full Bridge converter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

Would you say its optimal to interleave wind the transformer on a Phase Shift Full Bridge converter?
….In a Phase Shift Full Bridge converter, there is obviously a need for a primary side series inductor to bring about ZVS. Would you say it is best to implement the series inductor with a separate inductor, and then interleave wind the actual full bridge transformer in order to reduce leakage inductance in the transformer?
As you know, there will be diodes to the rails, from where the series inductor meets the transformer. This is to reduce overvoltage ringing on the secondary diodes. Interleave winding the transformer would be to further reduce ringing problems on the secondary diodes.

Makes sense to me. External inductance allows the clamping diodes, it's also easier to control and modify if its separate. Note that it gets wacked with both high voltage and high ripple currents...I found it hard to specify this inductor in my application.

If leakage is significantly less than your external L then you're probably good to go. Additional C from interleaving causes problems - it winds up the series L every switching cycle and causes extra losses there.

After testing we asked for less interleaving to reduce C, though its a planar design which probably starts with higher C and lower leakage.

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
interleaving gives a lower loss Tx ...

T

Forget about the leakage inductance, if you don't interleave windings, your proximity losses will be much higher. Not worth the couple $ you'd save by not needing a discrete "leakage" inductor.

if you don't interleave windings, your proximity losses will be much higher
Thanks, i thought proximity losses were worse when there were say, multiple layers of windings on top of each other.

multiple layers of the same winding - yes, interleaving - no

T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back