Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is there a lofting function in HFSS 2019R2 or later?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpotter

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a complex structure I have drawn in HFSS using Python scripting. It is a TE mode structure consisting of a series of cells of different lengths in z. The shape in the XY plane varies to keep the cutoff frequency constant as a parameter varies with z. I can draw the shapes at each z(i) and sweep them to z(i+1). This gives me a step approximation to my shape. This is OK for my purposes, but the HFSS mesher doesn't like the small steps. I also have a problem plotting the E-field along a broken path. HFSS plotting apparently cannot deal with this. To improve the situation I would like to loft the shape from z(i) to z(i+1). That gets rid of the steps and doesn't mess up my field calculations. However, there appears to be no loft command in HFSS. To get around this Tech support proposes that I use SpaceClaim. I can tell you right now that if you can create 3D objects in HFSS or SolidWorks, SpaceClaim is counter intuitive in every regard. The saving grace is that you can script in Python. I chose Python over VBA for reasons. So I am reluctant to learn VBA so I can create my shape in SolidWorks. I am making some progress in learning enough about SpaceClaim to create my geometry in Python script. It has been challenging, but I'm making progress.

Life would be ever so much easier if HFSS had a simple lofting function. I don't need splined curves. I can create straight line uide curves for every vertex from z(i) to z(i+1). but I can find no evidence of any such function.

My shapw is a closed curve consisting of two polylines and two arcs. One arc is constant in radius and position for all z. The other arc varies in center point location and radius as a function of z. This forces me to move some vertices on the polylines to keep the TE mode cutoff frequency constant along z.

Is there any alternative besides SolidWorks and VBA or SpaceClaim. I would be happy to draw in SolidWorks if I could script in Python. Some people have done this, but it seems to open up a new can of worms.

Thans for any comments or suggestions.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back