Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pulsed microwave beam conundrum

Status
Not open for further replies.

dloominator

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am receiving pulsed beam microwave bursts in the 2.4 - 2.5 Ghz range with a beam width <3 m from straight up. The highest power so far has been 62,981 mW/sq m. I have many readings above 10,000 mW/sq m. I am using relatively cheap RF meters, yet this doesn't make sense even when allowing for large inaccuracies. I have been regularly detecting these bursts following my cell phone for the last year. I've collected over a hundred photos and videos establishing baselines of ambient RF, patterns of certain peak readings, unequivocal proximity to my cell phone, etc. I simply have no rational explanation. I will furnish all data via alternate means upon request as it's too large for this site.

What about leakage from a neighbor microwave oven?
I've seen microwave ovens from various manufacturers with totally different RF spectrum in 2.4GHz band.

Nearby WiFi access point? Or are you simply measuring your cellphone's WiFi transceiver itself?

Message is unavailable.

What about leakage from a neighbor microwave oven?
I've seen microwave ovens from various manufacturers with totally different RF spectrum in 2.4GHz band.

Thank you for your response. Ground level leakage or rouge RF has been eliminated as a possible cause. The RF pulses followed me from Wichita KS to Norfolk VA and back. I also have a video of a meter left in a location 10 miles from mine. Background radiation in that house after a whole day was ~19 mW/ sq m. I video'd the meter as I inserted the SIM chip hot into my S7. The reading climbed to over 2,000 MW/ sq m in less than a minute. The microwave pulses are unequivocally following my cell phone and have a width of about 1 - 3 meters.

Hi,

Even when the SIM card is not inserted the cellular phone will send out / receive HF.
Caused by
* EMI of the electronics inside (microcontroller, display, SMPS..)
* Bluetooth
* WiFi
* cellular phone signals for emergency calls

Any other electronic device will cause HF to be sent out. Calculators, watches, heart pacemaker, laptop, PC, car keys...

Klaus

Nearby WiFi access point? Or are you simply measuring your cellphone's WiFi transceiver itself?

Thank you for your suggestions. I already considered and eliminated both. I measured several commercial wifi hotspots with my cell phone in airplane mode and recorded < 35 mW/sq m in a half hour time frame. Taking the phone out of airplane mode resulted in data pulses > 1000 mW/sq m within minutes. Also, the high reading of ~63,000 mW/sq m would require > 15 amps current from a 3.7 volt battery. Nothing in any known cell phone is capable of handling that much current. The battery would catch fire or explode even if the circuitry could handle it.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes. There are minimal wattage pings for emergency mode even when the SIM is out. I have checked that and recorded negligible readings (<20 mW/sq m). Nothing emits when the cell phone is in airplane mode. The 63,000 mW/sq m high reading I recorded would require > 15 amps of current from the battery and through the circuitry. No part of cell phone IC chips can handle current anywhere near that high. The battery would most likely catch fire or blow up from such massive drain even if it were physically capable of releasing it.

Remove the battery in your S7 cell phone. Put the SIM card in a different cell phone, preferable in an older model, not a smart phone.
If still have these strong EM fields following you, (and because you are in Virginia) maybe somebody from Langley is interested in what you are doing :)

I am using relatively cheap RF meters, yet this doesn't make sense even when allowing for large inaccuracies

Did you even considered any calibration issue with your meter? Was you able to determine the direction where this signal come from? MHO you are just detecting artifacts from your own electronic gadgets; this band is largely used nowardays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back