Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Auto oscillating DC-DC converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

ysba

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I've stumbled with the circuit in the attached image.

P_20200206_143652 (Médio).jpg

It is a DC-DC converter which uses a small ferrite transformer, driver by two oscillating BJT. The output is then rectified to generate a DC output voltage. It is pretty simple, works just fine. The switching frequency is about 14 kHz and the output voltage follows the DC input voltage according to the turns ratio.

Does anyone know if this circuit has a specific name? Is there some paper or documentation that explains this circuit in detail?

Thanks.

Cheers,

Yuri

- - - Updated - - -

I think I got it:

https://davidcaudrey.me.uk/page8.html

"Saturating core DC-DC converter"

If anyone has some info to add it would be nice.

Thank you very much.

Usual names are self-oscillating push-pull converter or self-oscillating push-pull blocking oscillator.

Reactions: ysba

ysba

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
These types of converters were once ubiquitous in compact cameras to transform the voltage from a pair of AA cells to the high voltage required by a xenon flash tube.

When you turned the flash on, one could hear the transformer whining.

Nowadays camera flashes are LED-based.

Reactions: ysba

ysba

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.