Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How the output power changes by varying the capacitor connected in series with gate

Status
Not open for further replies.

circuitking

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I have connected a capacitor (C) in series with the gate of a mosfet(M, let's say a CS amplifier). It's value (180 fF) is not too high like a blocking capacitor. How does increasing or decreasing this value change the output power and lower(input) cut-off frequencies?.

My analysis is like If the C value is decreased, the Vgs of M decreased because of capacitive division. Current swing decreases and hence output power decreases. The lower cut-off frequency is also increases because the over capacitance at the input is decreased. Exactly the opposite happen when the C value is increased. Thanks

Can you understand power correctly ?
Show me your definition of input power.

You have to learn difference between voltage and power correctly, before EDA Tool Play.

A capacitor placed in series with the gate of a MOSFET could change the input impedance matching of the transistor, so the gain will change, and the output power will change.

Capacitive input impedance of the MOSFET is a simplified assumption. The actual input impedance is complex and can be, depending on the operation frequency, transistor and output circuit parameters, quite different from pure capacitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back