Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Vicor Power Module to power a BLDC & inverter.....inrush at startup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

Vicor Power Module to power a BLDC Motor & its inverter.....inrush at startup?

Hi
We wish to use a Vicor BCM module to power a BLDC . The steady state max power will be 1200W. The load is a drone motor. (propeller blades)
The Vicor BCM4414xH0E5035yzz power module will be used…..

BCM4414xH0E5035yzz power module datasheet:
https://www.vicorpower.com/documents/datasheets/ds-BCM4414xH0E5035yzz-VICOR.pdf

However, page 3 of the following Vicor App Note on this power module states that the Maximum rated DC current (35A) must “never“ be exceeded……………

Vicor app note 16

https://www.vicorpower.com/documents/application_notes/vichip_appnote16.pdf

The problem is that BLDC’s need to draw a massive current at startup in order to get them to overcome their inertia and start rotating. This will mean that the Vicor power module will exceed its maximum rated DC current (35A) for a short while. (at least its output current will go up to the overcurrent trip point which is anywhere from 37A to 70A).

So do you agree that due to this, we cannot use the BCM4414xH0E5035yzz power module?

Last edited by a moderator:

I might expect intelligent brushless controllers can limit start up current.

I see a 40A pulsed current rating.

Output filter design can also help, but see the 450U C limit.

I can speak from experience that Vicor BCM overcurrent limits are sensitive.

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I might expect intelligent brushless controllers can limit start up current.
Thanks, yes i would agree, i do remember working on a fuel pump BLDC and even though the inverter could limit current, we physically had to ship a load of current to the Motor in the first place just to get it to start turning...the startup current was significantly above the maximum steady state current.

Status
Not open for further replies.