Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Receiving incorrect output at receiver FPGA

Status
Not open for further replies.

ankit rajput

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I am implementing QPSK transmitter and receiver on two different FPGA (Arty boards) and connecting them through PMod (I/O) pins. I have not implemented any clock recovery at receiver FPGA. So, sometime output is coming correct and sometime gliches are coming in output. let me explain further using waveforms.

Capture_correct.JPG
correct output is coming.

here above shown waveforms are of producing correct data. concat is input to receiver fpga . ce_50_net is clock enable i.e point where we are reading or triggering concat. gateway is output. so here, when ce_50_net signal is triggering input signal between yellow marker and middle of concat signal, i am getting correct output.

Capture_wrong.JPG
wrong output is coming

here above shown waveforms are of producing wrong data. concat is input to receiver fpga . ce_50_net is clock enable i.e point where we are reading or triggering concat. gateway is output. so here, when ce_50_net signal is triggering input signal between middle of concat signal and blue marker, i am getting wrong output.

so some time correct output coming and some time due to chane in triggering position wrong output or output with gliches are coming.

How can i solve this problem?

How do you expect that the design can work without some kind of clock synchronization?

thanks for reply.

since i have never implemented any clock synchronization , is there any source about implementing it in FPGA?

you are generating ce_50_net from a faster clock. in this case, you want to use the two-register synchronizer on the inputs to avoid metastability. after that, implement an edge detector (register + xor). on any edge, the counter generating clk_50_net is reset. that counter also resets if it reaches the normal terminal count. clk_50_net is generated by comparing the counter to something like half of terminal count. This is a simple version of clock recovery.

when the rx clock is slow, the counter will reset a bit before the terminal count happens. if the rx clock is fast, the counter resets and resets a second time with a low count. But these only happen when there are transitions, otherwise it falls back to being a little fast or a little slow. The length of data you can receive where there are no transitions is based on how long it takes the difference in clock frequencies between sender/receiver to accumulate enough phase error to skip/slip a bit.

This is a simple version. there are more advanced methods.

Status
Not open for further replies.